Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will not install or uninstall anything

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 14, 2012 2:26:38 PM

I can't get Windows 7 to install or uninstall any programs. Whenever I try it says a network resource is unavailable and asks me to point to the install package, but still never works. I've been trying to fix this for months now, I've asked around before and I've tried every relevant fix I could find on the internet. So as one last shot, any ideas? I don't feel like doing a fresh install of Windows 7 if 8 is coming out soon, and I get Windows for free through MSDNAA, so I thought I would do an upgrade install to windows 8 CP and then just enter the final key when I get it, do you think that would fix it?

More about : install uninstall

April 14, 2012 2:36:13 PM

tipoo said:
I can't get Windows 7 to install or uninstall any programs. Whenever I try it says a network resource is unavailable and asks me to point to the install package, but still never works. I've been trying to fix this for months now, I've asked around before and I've tried every relevant fix I could find on the internet. So as one last shot, any ideas? I don't feel like doing a fresh install of Windows 7 if 8 is coming out soon, and I get Windows for free through MSDNAA, so I thought I would do an upgrade install to windows 8, do you think that would fix it?



Could it be that this began happening after you installed .net framework sp 2? If so.....try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330061
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 2:50:23 PM

terryd75 said:
Could it be that this began happening after you installed .net framework sp 2? If so.....try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330061


I tried finding it through both steps, it doesn't seem to be there either in the control panel or through the installer command. And opening the 1.1 installer just has it say something along the lines of "setup has encountered an error and must close". Thanks though.

If nothing works, do you think an OS update would erase whatever the problem is, or carry it forward?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 14, 2012 2:59:10 PM

I assume that youu have dwnloaded and installed ALL of the microsoft up-dates and service packs, etc?
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 3:02:03 PM

terryd75 said:
I assume that youu have dwnloaded and installed ALL of the microsoft up-dates and service packs, etc?

Yup, half of those fail too though :sarcastic: 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 14, 2012 3:21:34 PM

Your problem is much too complicated and you are not giving us enough info.
Like, what is the exact error message?
What install package is it looking for?
When was the last sucessful windows update?
Have you tried windows System Restore?
What are you trying to install?
Is absolutely everything not installing? Programs? Games? Utilities?
Did you scan for virus's?
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 3:33:21 PM

memadmax said:
Your problem is much too complicated and you are not giving us enough info.
Like, what is the exact error message?
What install package is it looking for?
When was the last sucessful windows update?
Have you tried windows System Restore?
What are you trying to install?
Is absolutely everything not installing? Programs? Games? Utilities?
Did you scan for virus's?


I gave the exact error message, for every installation it says a network resource is unavailable. Looks just like this (arrows not mine)


The last windows updates installed today, but there are about 8 that always fail to install, all just labelled security update.

Everything, games, programs, utilities.
Scanned using MSE, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, all clean.
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 4:18:29 PM

why does it show a path with a virtual windows 7? That was never mentioned....... Thats your problem!! It doesn't know where to find the drivers, etc, etc. it does look like you are using some kind of setup that is out of the ordinary. do you have windows 7 loaded on your hdd? Or are you using some virtual set-up?
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 4:49:19 PM

terryd75 said:
why does it show a path with a virtual windows 7? That was never mentioned....... Thats your problem!! It doesn't know where to find the drivers, etc, etc. it does look like you are using some kind of setup that is out of the ordinary. do you have windows 7 loaded on your hdd? Or are you using some virtual set-up?


No no, that's just what the dialog looks like for installs, the screenshot is not mine. Its a normal Win7 installation, and just for standard programs it does that. The path it shows is normal (C: downloads or whatever)
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 9:16:07 PM

wow..............I guess I have to admit defeat on this one. I have never heard of this exact issue b4. If it were me, I'd probably be re-formatting my hdd and re-loading windows from scratch. Understanding that there is probably a fix......but, having no idea what that fix would be, short of a complete re-install. Wish i could have been more help........sorry
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2012 7:46:38 AM

Sorry for the delay, been sick.
Anyways...

Open a "Elevated Command Prompt"
Goto Start > Search Programs and Files(on the bottom of the menu, right above the start circle button) > Type in: cmd > Right Click cmd.exe on the results up top of the start menu > Run As Administrator

At the prompt, type in: sfc /scannow

And let it run, and we will go from there.
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 5:12:02 PM

Tried both, did not fix it. The first said it applied some changes and to reboot, but when I did I still had the same errors. At this point I think I may as well make a fresh back up of my documents then start new. I really appreciate you all trying though, thanks. This time I'm definitely doing a separate data partition to make restores less of a headache, I used to do that in the Windows XP days, not sure why I stopped :pfff: 

Thanks again though
m
0
l
April 22, 2012 12:14:16 AM

Thanks everyone, I tried everything you said but nothing worked, went ahead and did a clean wipe and restore. All back to normal now. Surprising how little Windows 7 slows down over years unlike every previous version, I must say.
m
0
l
!