Sign in with
Your question

Powerline or Wireless?

Last response: in Networking
July 1, 2012 1:47:36 PM

Hi guys, would greatly appreciate some advice on this as I'm considering moving away from wireless.

My setup: I have a wireless N router (150mbps i think) which provides internet to my PC which is upstairs and on the other side of the house which has a USB Wireless adapter.

I just did a test (would like to know if this would be accurate of powerline speeds) of my wireless vs Ethernet (took the PC downstairs) connections:

Wireless: Down: 3.7Mps Up: 0.72Mps

Wired: Down: 7.5Mbps Up: 0.72Mps

Ping both times was around 42ms (would have expected lower via wired?)

So the results seem quit promising, x2 download speed!

Would this be realized with a powerline connection too?

Many thanks!

More about : powerline wireless

a c 203 F Wireless
July 1, 2012 2:14:48 PM

At any distance, powerline will give you 20-30Mbps -- closer or with real new and not too many breakers crossed you could get up to 80Mbps -- I get right around 100Mbps on the same circuit from the latest 500Mbps devices.

Take a look here for comparisons of models, although the best deal would be to go with a 200Mbps model, which are as fast as the 500Mbps models in reality. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/...
July 1, 2012 2:26:19 PM

Thanks for the quick reply RB, so it seems way worth it then. 20-30Mbps if i can get that right, rather than boosting it?

Was just figuring out if i knew what Mbps vs MB/s meant (I do now); am i right in saying that any networking device (54Mbps, 200Mbps (as you mentioned)), they are all way above my real internet speed aren't they (7.5Mbps).
Related resources
a b F Wireless
July 1, 2012 3:25:12 PM

In my experience, powerline is very, very YMMV. In some cases, it won't work at all due to wiring issues. In other cases, it works, but not all that great. Here and there it’s really good. I've had plenty of experiences of speeds as low as 8-12Mbps w/ powerline adapters rated @ 200Mbps. I assume powerline adapters w/ higher ratings would show some improvement. Sometimes the wiring is fine but there’s simply too much line noise from other electrical devices. Just another reason it’s so unpredictable. Whatever its virtue might be, powerline is never a sure thing.

What I find works a lot better (if more costly) is MoCA (ethernet over coax). A lot cleaner line, less issues w/ noise, etc. I routinely hear of speeds approaching 100Mbps. And more consistent and reliable too. Last I heard, it will co-exist w/ cable TV, but not DirecTV/satellite systems.
a c 203 F Wireless
July 1, 2012 8:53:06 PM

andre199017 said:
Thanks for the quick reply RB, so it seems way worth it then. 20-30Mbps if i can get that right, rather than boosting it?

Was just figuring out if i knew what Mbps vs MB/s meant (I do now); am i right in saying that any networking device (54Mbps, 200Mbps (as you mentioned)), they are all way above my real internet speed aren't they (7.5Mbps).

Yes, it will do fine for about anything except streaming bluray images. As eibgrad mentions, if you have an old house with bad wiring they can be problematic. I've had no issues with over 20 installations of the 200Mbps models though in homes that were 20 years old or newer getting at least 20Mbps anywhere in the house.

If the outlet that you use has anything on it with a motor you may get interference -- rather than an expensive filter, just put the appliance on a 6 foot extension cord and it will eliminate the interference.
July 2, 2012 9:18:57 AM

If you have a wireless router then wireless remain working when you connect a device either direct via ethernet cable, and/or run the ethernet via power adaptors.In our house we have laptops wireless, ps3 direct via ethernet cable, and an xbox via the powerline adaptor and all working fine.
!