Low internet speed

VicariousToast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section. I didn't see any other section that this thread would really belong in.

So, as the title says, I have a very low internet speed. I'm getting around 70-80 kb/s when I download files. Sometimes it drops to 40-50 for an hour or two, but it always gets back up. Before I got my router set up, I only had 20-30 kb/s. Apparently, I'm supposed to be getting around 700-800 kb/s. Occasionally when a download starts, the download speed starts at 800 kb/s and quickly drops down to 80 kb/s. I have no clue why I'm getting such a slow speed, and it's getting really annoying having to wait so long to download a file that's only 30Mb.

I've already called Centurylink (Or whatever their name is now), and they told me it was a problem with my modem. They sent me a replacement, and their was no change at all when I got the new one. Is there something I can do to get the speed I'm supposed to be getting?

So it actually got faster when you installed the router?? That seems odd, since it’s usually the same or perhaps a little worse when compared to only using a modem due to some overhead imposed by the router.

What type of service, dsl or cable? What about equipment, make and model of modem, router, etc.? I assume it’s configured something like this:

[modem]<-- wire -->[router]<-- wire/wireless -->[wired & wireless devices]

VicariousToast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
It could have been a coincidence, I'm not sure if the router caused it. All I know is that I set it up, and our internet speed suddenly got faster. I managed to find the box, but I don't know where the manual is, so hopefully what's on the box will be enough.

Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
680 MHz powerful MIPS 32-bit processor
Memory: 8 MB flash and 64 MB RAM
Simultaneous Dual Band - 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz operation
DLNA compliant
Five Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN, 4 LAN)

I didn't really know what was important and what wasn't, so I put most of the stuff up here.

I think CenturyLink is DSL, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I actually didn't even know what DSL was until today.

That's how my router is set up.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I live out in the country, but apparently I'm close enough to a certain small city to actually be able to get DSL, so thankfully, I'm not stuck with dial-up.

EDIT:

I just ran a speed test at speedtest.net, and it said I have a download speed of 0.67 Mbps. So, I typed that in the search bar in Google Chrome, and did a few conversions, and it said it was 85.76 kb/s. So what exactly is the difference between kbps and kb/s?

@CenturylinkHelp

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Hey VicariousToast - sorry to hear that your speed is not what it should be. Please send me your account information so I can investigate this with our specialty techs here at Centurylink.

http://bit.ly/TALKTOUS or TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thanks,
Rich
Centuryliink Help Team