My computer will not work. This is getting frustrating

krystalized0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hi

I've recently encountered some errors with my pc.

These include

BSOD (error codes 0x00001, 0x00008, 0x0000a)
Crashes (fans go into a high powered state, monitor goes blank)
Blue screens (not bsod, just straight blue screens)
After it crashes pc turns

PC = a6745f (pre-built model)

All parts accept HDD and graphics card are aftermarket.

HDD = WD green 1 tb hard drive
GC = nvidea BFG geforce 9800gt

Now, I'll be running memtest, seatools (i ran seatools before, 100% fine)

One thing notable is that my PSU is 300w, and my graphics card says it needs a minimal output of 400w. But I've been running this graphics cARD with this psu for over 2 years.

I appreciate your input! Im a college student and cant afford a new computer :(

krystalized0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Processor:
Type AMD Athlon X2 5050e / 2.6 GHz .
Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core

Mainboard:
Chipset type AMD 780G .

RAM:
Installed Size 4.0 GB / 16.0 GB (max) .
Technology DDR2 SDRAM .
Memory Speed 800.0 MHz .
Memory Specification Compliance PC2-6400 .
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin

Heres a link to the EXACT pc I have (accept for vd and hdd)

G

your PSU is tired.
a review of your card with a Q6600 test set up drew 283 watts.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1458/bfg_tech_geforce_9800_gtx_ocx_512mb/index16.html
your cpu draws 30 watts less:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/850/14/
the (theoretical) 253 watts will get a less than good quality 300watt psu to start failing. the error codes are the other components not getting the power they need.

try getting something like this:
Rosewill RD400-2-DB 400W ATX V2.2 Power Supply $34.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182021

krystalized0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I ran memtest, the first time my pc froze and made a buzzing sound (I've gotten that before) the second time it crashed w/ a blank screen and fans going into a high powered state.

Should I still buy the PSU?

krystalized0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Also after my PC crashes, it won't turn on for quite a while. I tried reseting the PC by take out the power cord, and turning it on (draining the system)

I don't think that's a terrible thing to do for my pc, is it? D:

It doesn't make much sense that it is a psu issue. If it was, would my pc not just turn on right after it crashes? OR is there a lock-out or timer of some sort that doesnt lte it turn back on?

This is not an overheating issue, I've checked with a bunch of programs. All the temps are normal (or within a safe range)

G

everything does point to the psu. its under powered just by what power your system needs. your components are going flonky and causing error codes and blue screens. the only heat sensor for a psu is to put your hand by the exhaust and if it feels warmer than your room temp by 10c; its hot!

until you use another psu that is NOT suspect, ie a quality one that has sufficient wattage. any trouble shooting is moot. i have seen people insist it can't be their psu ( "my cooler master is 750 watts! it can't be THAT!" :lol: )and swap out cpus, ram, motherbords and still have problems until they switched psus and like magic the problems stopped.

you KNOW your psu is underpowered. you were fortunate you got 2 years of overloading it. now reality has come up and said, "no more!" so if you want to fix things, lets fix them right.