Sign in with
Your question

easiest way to share files

Last response: in Networking
August 21, 2001 3:24:20 PM

Hello,

I have a Netgear RT314 router and I would like to know the easiest way to share files between my 2 computers, software wise. My PCs are already sharing an internet connection. One is running win98, the other win2k. Both systems have internet access. I tried doing a peer to peer network through windows but ran into many problems. Is there any software out there that is really easy to configure and that can setup a peer to peer network. Otherwise, I need REALLY detailed instructions on how to do so in windows. Thanks

More about : easiest share files

August 21, 2001 4:25:23 PM

You have to make sure your Primary login on the 98 box is set to Client for Microsoft Networks. Also make sure you have the Client for Microsoft networks and file and print sharing services installed on the 98 box. Then log in on the 98 box with the same username and password as a user on the Win2K box. You should then be able to map a share on the Win2K box from the 98 box. You can also do this from a DOS command window by typing

net use * \\192.168.1.1\share_name (subsitute the actual IP address of the Win2k box)

If that doesn't work, post the errors.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
August 21, 2001 5:36:50 PM

Peer-to-Peer with Windows is a breeze...
Ya shouldn't have any problems...

If, as you say, you already have you NIC's installed and communicationg with the router/switch, that indicates TCP/IP is allready set up...

From there your home free!.
1. Now insure the WorkGroup/Domain is the same for both machines. For Win2K go to Control Panel, System, System Properties Network Identification Tab. Click Properties, and set WorkGroup name to MyWorkGroup( or whatever). For Win98 do similar - think its Control Panel, Network, the Identification Tab and enter the same WorkGroup name. Restart Win 98, don't think ya have to for Win2k, but it wouldn't hurt...

2. Now Share devices... For Win2K click My Computer, right click the C drive for context menu, select Sharing, click the "Share this folder" radio button, click New Share button, give it a Share Name like Puter1_C, click Permissions and it should already be Everyone and Allow Full Control, Change and Read checked. Leave it that way till your sharing starts working - then tighten it up as needed... OK,OK,OK back to My Computer and in a second or so a little hand will slide under the C drove icon
indicating you did it correctly and the device is now shared... For Win98 its almost exactly the same except simpler - give it a share name, Full Access, and leave the passwork blank... tighten it up when it works...

Actually that may be all ya need to do... I'm not sure ya even need to define any user ID's cause ya shared to Every one.... Try it!!!

Now click Network NeighborHood(Win98) or MyNetworkPlacez(Win2K), click Entire network, Click your WorkGroup namee, and you'll see the computer icons with the computer name from the Identification Tab... Click the computer icon and you'll see the shares you made...
And thats about it... You should always see the computer you workin on, plus any other computer that's up and running on your LAN...

For Win2k ya might have to define the Win98 username, but I dont think ya have to... But if ya get access denided accessing a share, do Control Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management, select Local Users and Groups from the tree and intuitively add the Win98 user insuring you use the same password that the Win98 starts up with...

That's the simple basics, and it works quite well...

Then learn a little Net Admin for your Lan to tighten it up a bit... There'a a lot of ways to skin that cat...

Its so easy even WinDoze users can do it...

Try it
!