Sign in with
Your question

Issues with internet connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 7, 2012 8:20:11 PM

Hello, new member here, joined because of a problem I'm having.

I have an issue with a laptop that is unable to properly connect to the internet. Strangely the connection works with a particular router that I no longer have access to. Any router other than this one does not work. In detail, the issue is that web pages will not be displayed and updates cannot be downloaded. The odd thing is that the laptop shows a full working connection to the internet on the indicator in the tray, and the program "Skype" is able to connect to the internet and show when people are on-line and offline.

Despite this indication both google chrome and internet explorer do not display web pages of any sort and no other programs can connect. I have used the mcafee and Avast force uninstall utilities to ensure that there are no remnants of previous installs of antivirus (the laptop now has no 3rd party antivirus apart from malwarebytes, which I installed an hour ago). Malwarebytes shows no malware present.

I have tried disabling IPv6 to no avail. I am also unable to find updated drivers for the integrated WLAN chip, the current drivers are from 2010. The chip is a "Atheros AR5B97 wireless network adaptor" and the laptop is an "Acer Aspire 5742".

Any help would be appreciated, I'm struggling to think of anything else. Please ask for any information I've missed out, for I'll be glad to find it.

Thanks!
June 7, 2012 8:51:23 PM

I was having the same type of issue. My machine could "see" the network but, it couldn't connect to it. I tried everything that I could think of. I even best buy'd a new adapter. Nothing worked. When the router was reset, I finally got a connection. A simple push of the reset button fixed it.
June 7, 2012 9:04:15 PM

Thanks for the reply, I've given that a try and it hasn't worked. A small update, I uninstalled skype and now windows diagnostics is saying "windows cannot communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)"
!