Denon AVR-2805 -- Am I missing something?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 3, 2005 8:26:34 PM

I have a Denon AVR-2805/985 AV Surround Receiver.

I'd like to use wireless headphones (with a base station) with it, but
I don't want to plug the headphone base station into the headphone
jack, for two reasons:

(1) Plugging the headphone base station into the headphone jack turns
off the speakers, which means that when I want to stop using the
headphones and start using the speakers again, I have to physically go
to the receiver and unplug the headphone cable...I'd prefer to just use
the remote; and

(2) The volume level coming out of the headphone jack is not constant
-- it's adjustable with the volume control on the receiver. I want a
constant (line level) signal going to the headphone base station; I'll
adjust the volume using the knob on the headphones.

I tried two potential solutions, and both have the same problem:

I turned ZONE 2 and REC OUT to "SOURCE," so that whatever source I was
using would be directed to ZONE 2 and to REC OUT. I then tried
connecting the headphone base station (using cables with RCA jacks at
the ends) to ZONE 2 (making sure the Zone 2 amp was turned on), and
then to REC OUT.

Unfortunately, although I was able to listen to analog sources through
the headphones this way, I was unable to get audio from digital sources
to come out through the ZONE2 preouts, or the REC OUT jacks.

Is this by design? Does this mean that the only way I can listen to,
for example, audio from a digital cable box going to the optical input
on the amp is to ALSO run analog audio from that same device to the
anlog inputs on the amp, for use solely with the headphones? If I do
that, and set the amp (in its setup menu) to autoselect the best audio
input for each device, will it be smart enough to send audio from the
digital input to the speakers, and from the analog input to the
headphones? Is there a simpler way to solve the problem than to have
both a digital and analog input for each device?

Thanks!!

More about : denon avr 2805 missing

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 11:37:52 AM

Christopher Key wrote:

> The best solution however generally seems to be to provide the amp with
> every output format that the source provides (both for audio and video).
> Generates much more cabling, but usually less hassle is the long run.

Thanks; that's a LOT of cables(!), but I'll give it a shot.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:20:54 PM

"Not Myrealname" <noclothes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Denon AVR-2805/985 AV Surround Receiver.
>
> I'd like to use wireless headphones (with a base station) with it, but
> I don't want to plug the headphone base station into the headphone
> jack, for two reasons:
>
> (1) Plugging the headphone base station into the headphone jack turns
> off the speakers, which means that when I want to stop using the
> headphones and start using the speakers again, I have to physically go
> to the receiver and unplug the headphone cable...I'd prefer to just use
> the remote; and
>
> (2) The volume level coming out of the headphone jack is not constant
> -- it's adjustable with the volume control on the receiver. I want a
> constant (line level) signal going to the headphone base station; I'll
> adjust the volume using the knob on the headphones.
>
> I tried two potential solutions, and both have the same problem:
>
> I turned ZONE 2 and REC OUT to "SOURCE," so that whatever source I was
> using would be directed to ZONE 2 and to REC OUT. I then tried
> connecting the headphone base station (using cables with RCA jacks at
> the ends) to ZONE 2 (making sure the Zone 2 amp was turned on), and
> then to REC OUT.
>
> Unfortunately, although I was able to listen to analog sources through
> the headphones this way, I was unable to get audio from digital sources
> to come out through the ZONE2 preouts, or the REC OUT jacks.
>
> Is this by design? Does this mean that the only way I can listen to,
> for example, audio from a digital cable box going to the optical input
> on the amp is to ALSO run analog audio from that same device to the
> anlog inputs on the amp, for use solely with the headphones? If I do
> that, and set the amp (in its setup menu) to autoselect the best audio
> input for each device, will it be smart enough to send audio from the
> digital input to the speakers, and from the analog input to the
> headphones? Is there a simpler way to solve the problem than to have
> both a digital and analog input for each device?
>
> Thanks!!

This is typical, audio from the digital inputs not being available to the MR
outputs. I don't see a ready way out of your dilemma, but someone more
familiar with your particular model might have more insight.

Mark Z.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:51:26 PM

"Not Myrealname" <noclothes@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Denon AVR-2805/985 AV Surround Receiver.
>
> I'd like to use wireless headphones (with a base station) with it, but
> I don't want to plug the headphone base station into the headphone
> jack, for two reasons:
>
> (1) Plugging the headphone base station into the headphone jack turns
> off the speakers, which means that when I want to stop using the
> headphones and start using the speakers again, I have to physically go
> to the receiver and unplug the headphone cable...I'd prefer to just use
> the remote; and
>
> (2) The volume level coming out of the headphone jack is not constant
> -- it's adjustable with the volume control on the receiver. I want a
> constant (line level) signal going to the headphone base station; I'll
> adjust the volume using the knob on the headphones.
>
> I tried two potential solutions, and both have the same problem:
>
> I turned ZONE 2 and REC OUT to "SOURCE," so that whatever source I was
> using would be directed to ZONE 2 and to REC OUT. I then tried
> connecting the headphone base station (using cables with RCA jacks at
> the ends) to ZONE 2 (making sure the Zone 2 amp was turned on), and
> then to REC OUT.
>
> Unfortunately, although I was able to listen to analog sources through
> the headphones this way, I was unable to get audio from digital sources
> to come out through the ZONE2 preouts, or the REC OUT jacks.
>
> Is this by design? Does this mean that the only way I can listen to,
> for example, audio from a digital cable box going to the optical input
> on the amp is to ALSO run analog audio from that same device to the
> anlog inputs on the amp, for use solely with the headphones? If I do
> that, and set the amp (in its setup menu) to autoselect the best audio
> input for each device, will it be smart enough to send audio from the
> digital input to the speakers, and from the analog input to the
> headphones? Is there a simpler way to solve the problem than to have
> both a digital and analog input for each device?

Fairly typical - had this problem when hooking up a DVD recorder to a
AVR3802. Couple of things to consider / try though:

o Using a spare optical out with an external AD converter. You'd need
something to autoswitch between the amp's analogue out and the analogue out
of the AD converter, as I don't think you'll get a digital output produced
for a purely analogue source. (maybe not a problem, depending on what kit
you have)

o Making use of the Zone 2 speaker outputs. You *may* find that you get
output from these, even if the source is digital, and would hence just have
to attenuate the signal suitably for a line level input.

The best solution however generally seems to be to provide the amp with
every output format that the source provides (both for audio and video).
Generates much more cabling, but usually less hassle is the long run.

Chris Key
!