HP products

LunaSolaris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
A comp store guy told my husband not to EVER buy a HP printer, because if there's ever a problem, one ends up formatting the hard drive to reinstall the software and driver. I've never heard of this. I've owned a HP printer for 4 years, and have known many people and institutions (including my work) that uses them. Has any of you had this problem, or heard of someone who has? Plus, is it a problem w/ multifunction machines that one function goes out for whatever reason? I mean, I'm know it's possible, but is it enough to discourage one from buying a multifunction?

<font color=purple> Don't look down on me because I know next to nothing - look down on me because I'm SHORT </font color=purple>

pyrocutee

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
The computer guy told you garbage. What he should have told you was to never buy an HP because you will be forking out money left and right for the cartridges. As far as a multifunction unit goes, yes, scanners go bad, printers go bad, faxes get blown by lightening, or just go bad. If one feature goes, the whole machine is garbage. Most machines won't last more than 2 years today. They make them cheaper because the money is in the ink, not in the printer. Get a 2 or 3 yr protection plan and the store will at least take care of you WHEN it does break.