Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply Help for New Comp

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2002 11:10:51 PM

I am currently researching parts to build a new computer. This will be my first attempt and here's what I plan to put in it.

AMD Athlon 2100+ or 2200+ (not sure which one yet)
Asus A7V333
512MB PC2700 DDR RAM
Western Digital 120GB Special Edition HD
GeForce 4 Ti4200 or Ti4600 (not sure which one yet)
Hercules Game Theater XP 6.1
Pioneer DVD-ROM
Plexwriter CD-RW
USR 56K Modem
10/100 Ethernet

I have a few questions, if you guys could please answer for me.

1. I originally planned to buy the Gigabyte mobo that THG recommended in its mobo comparisons, but I read about it having problems. Now I have decided to go with the Asus. Will the number of jumpers be confusing since I am a building for the first time or will it be fairly straightforward?

2. I plan to get an Enermax 431 Watt PSU. At newegg.com, I am confused as to which model of the EG465P-VE to get - FM, FC, FMA, or FCA

3. Will my mobo be able to accept future AMD CPU's? If I remember correctly, the Hammer will be a different socket design right?

4. How is the Soyo KT333 mobo in your opinion/experience?

Thank you all for your assistance and sorry for the large volume of questions. I just want to be thorough. Thanks again.

Luap256

More about : power supply comp

June 19, 2002 3:26:24 AM

1. jumpers are pretty easy, if you run into trouble, the folks here are helpful
2. the 431 watt psu is awsome, the different kinds just include things like, variable speed fans, motherboard controled fans, some power off funtions, and fan speed monitoring. just get the base model 431 watt.
3. the tbred is the last cpu these mother boards will accomodate.
4. i have the soyo dragon+ i love it, probly the best mother board i have had. right now there is little reason to get the 333 chipset, you get no performance increase.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 19, 2002 4:25:15 AM

Nope. All wrong. I just bought an Enermax, and I got this one:

EG465AX-VE(W) FCA

It's a nice dark blue (personal taste) and it's incredibly quiet. I absolutely love it. Get it at:

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/power_supplies/

It's the cheapest you'll find it (I know, I looked). Honestly, any Enermax is good, but at least go there for the best prices. I got mine really quick with the standard shipping. Just an opinion, but I don't think you'll be sorry about your purchase. If, by some freak chance, you don't like the color, find this one somewhere cheap:

EG465AX-VE (G)(W) FMA

Either will make you a happy man (or woman).

She said "I love a man in tight jeans" and I said "They're not supposed to be tight I just got fat."
Related resources
June 19, 2002 5:59:21 AM

all wrong huh. nope. check out enermax website, they have all the specs, there is little difference, just little features. you paid about 20 bucks for the blue metal. i had to talk myself out of getting the blue one.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
June 19, 2002 10:52:52 AM

I agree. I think the difference in feature is not worth the extra money. I just get the cheapest one.
June 19, 2002 12:56:06 PM

I didn't think that there was much difference, so I assumed that there was none, and the only extra thing I was getting was the blue PS.... it was still worth it. The $10 extra isn't much when I'm spending a couple thousand dollars on a new system. Note, I said $10 because that's all the higher the price was over the uncolored one with the adjustable fan, and I wanted that feature no matter what.

Also, there is a difference other than that, though I don't know what it is. Mine is an FCA and the regular silver (metal) one is FMA. I'm almost positive that those do not only denote color. However, I've been unable to find out what they mean. Won't someone please tell me?

She said "I love a man in tight jeans" and I said "They're not supposed to be tight I just got fat."
!