Wow! RGB TV

peterbroad

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
OK, like many of you here I am in the process of building my own DVD/DIVX system for the living room.

Let me tell you this THE ONLY GRAPHICS CARD TO USE IS:

a humble 3 year old matrox G400.......

I upgraded from mine to a geforce 3 about a year ago BUT it is now in my new living room machine.

Why?

Because it is the only card I know of that supports RGB into a standard television. The image quality is unbelievably good. I've played around with S-Video outputs and believe me they do not even come close to the TV output of this card (particularly NVIDIA - TV out is awful). Simply follow the instructions on the Matrox site and construct your own cable (I used good quality gold connectors and cat5e shielded cable).

In fact the only way I can just tell the difference between my quality Sony SVD player is the fact there is no hardware motion compensation. The sharpness and quality are very similar. DIVX looks stunning, actually better on TV than a computer because the inherent lack of definition on the TV hides the slight pixelation really well.

This of course prompt the question why the hell don't other graphics cards support RGB to a standard television (via SCART)? It's surely such a minor this to support the timings and blanking (mainly software) - after all, it's not so different to VGA anyway.

Grab one on ebay for $40 while you still can.....

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Can you go on in more detail as to exactly how you did this? :) If you could that would be great. I've been working up mad schemes to throw a surprise air raid in town and steal computer components while no one was looking but if this works I'll do it instead.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!