Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

portable MP3 player that also play RA files?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:32:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi is there a hack to firmware make any large capacity (20-40gb)mp3
player also play .ra files?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

wrreisen wrote ...
> Hi is there a hack to firmware make any large capacity
> (20-40gb)mp3 player also play .ra files?

I would be happy just finding something that really converts
RA to WAV (or MP3, or whatever).

All of the things that are advertised as RA format converters
seem to be nothing but apps that record the *real-time* output
of the Real Player. Yuck.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:26:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <11faqhn7hi8431@corp.supernews.com>, rcrowley@xpr7t.net
says...
> wrreisen wrote ...
> > Hi is there a hack to firmware make any large capacity
> > (20-40gb)mp3 player also play .ra files?
>
> I would be happy just finding something that really converts
> RA to WAV (or MP3, or whatever).
>
> All of the things that are advertised as RA format converters
> seem to be nothing but apps that record the *real-time* output
> of the Real Player. Yuck.
>

Try here:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ra.htm

I do use dbpoweramp but have not tried the .ra decoder/encoder !

HTH
--
d{ô_ô}b PK

"Some mornings, it's just not worth
chewing through the leather straps."
Related resources
August 7, 2005 7:42:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Pun Krocker wrote -

> wrreisen wrote ...
> > Hi is there a hack to firmware make any large capacity
> > (20-40gb)mp3 player also play .ra files?

> I would be happy just finding something that really converts
> RA to WAV (or MP3, or whatever).

> All of the things that are advertised as RA format converters
> seem to be nothing but apps that record the *real-time* output
> of the Real Player. Yuck.

>Try here:
>http://www.dbpoweramp.com/code c-central-ra.htm

>I do use dbpoweramp but have not tried the .ra decoder/encoder !

>HTH
>--
>d{ô_ô}b PK

>"Some mornings, it's just not worth
>chewing through the leather straps."




An application suite called Streambox VCR has a program called
streambox ripper, which does this very well a google search should
provide you with the download location for this program, it also
records the .ra files from websites too....


Charlie
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 2:24:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Charlie" wrote ...
> An application suite called Streambox VCR has a program
> called streambox ripper, which does this very well a google
> search should provide you with the download location for
> this program, it also records the .ra files from websites too....

Streambox VCR appears to have been dropped by the
developer (after being sued by Real Networks?)....

"First of all the developers of this software (streambox.com)
stopped supporting and delivering newer versions long ago.
So new features are not being added and old bugs are not
being fixed. Second of all it is hard to find a trusted site to
download Streambox VCR."

http://all-streaming-media.com/streaming-media-faq/faq-...

Besides, it appears to be just another of the "record what you
see/hear" applications that only runs in real-time and relies on
the Real Player to decode the RA codec.

What I'd really like is a genuine codec for RA. That would
allow any application to open/convert/etc. RA files.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 8:45:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> What I'd really like is a genuine codec for RA. That would
> allow any application to open/convert/etc. RA files.

I believe the folks at Real have deliberately not released that, since
part of what they're trying to offer is a system which makes listening
easy but unauthorized recording more difficult.

Solving it in hardware and realtime probably is your best bet.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:44:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 10:24:43 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote:

>Streambox VCR appears to have been dropped by the
>developer (after being sued by Real Networks?)....

Indeed, but that doesn't mean it doesn't still work.


--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Browse now while stocks last!
August 8, 2005 8:32:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,uk.telecom.mobile,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

hairy...@despammed.com wrote -


>rcrow...@xpr7t.net> wrote:
>Streambox VCR appears to have been dropped by the
>developer (after being sued by Real Networks?)....

>Indeed, but that doesn't mean it doesn't still work.

>--

>Iain
>the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
>http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell 1.html
>Browse now while stocks last!


Richard, you seem to misunderstand how the ripper program works it
does not 'record real time' & In all the time I have used it it has
performed without fault. The program operates transcoding files to mp3
from .ra at x2 x3 x4 as fast as your system will permit. As for it not
being licenced so what. There are lots of utilities out there that do
an excellent job & are not licenced. The downloading function of this
suite works on most .ra link's & works downloading at far more than
'real time'. If you have any problem getting at hidden link's use a
program called url snooper. the two in combination & yes the ripper
does use the 'real codec' are pretty unbeatable, certainly the best I
have yet come across.

There are two programs in the suite the 'ripper program' called
streambox ripper & Streambox VCR the 'downloading program'


Charlie
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:22:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

wrreisen@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi is there a hack to firmware make any large capacity (20-40gb)mp3
> player also play .ra files?
>

Aren't Real Audio files just links to a stream, and therefore only
recordable in realtime?

CD
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:22:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Codifus" wrote ...
> Aren't Real Audio files just links to a stream, and therefore only
> recordable in realtime?

No, the "streams" are stored as "xxx.ra" files on the server. Or you
can create *.ra files yourself and use them locally or provide links
to them directly from your web page.
August 24, 2005 5:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <9h0Pe.4589$_7.1797@fe08.lga>, Codifus said...

> Aren't Real Audio files just links to a stream, and therefore only
> recordable in realtime?
>
No, the .ram file is the link. The .ra and .rm files are actual media
files. Although they are most often used for streaming media and the
quality is not the greatest they can be stored and played locally, just
like any other media file.
--
CQ
!