Win7 will not find Printers for XP network printers.

alanH7

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hello,

This is my original thread which got lost in the maze of requests. Please check the bottom to see the final Question on fixing this problem. Thank you. The rest is for reference only.

Hi, I have 2 XP Printers on a homegroup network. Installed a new Win7 PC. Can see the Printers shared on the XP network. Windows Update will not find the drivers to install the printers. How do I get Win7 to install and use these Win7 compatible printers HP1320 and HP3600. Do I install 32 bit drivers or 64 bit drivers on Win7. Full access to sharing to everyone on systems. Uninstalled McAfee firewall, windows firewall, and Print audit to ensure nothing blocks access to the printers. How do I get Win7 to recognize , install and use these 2 XP Printers?

nhasian
• 06-18-2012 at 08:32:26 PM
• | BBCode
Please visit the manufacturer's website to download the drivers for your device. You can use google to find the manufacturer's website if you do not know it. In the support section download the drivers for your specific make and model of the device for your version of Windows.

Note: If the manufacturer only lists drivers for Windows XP and not for Windows Vista or Windows 7, that means the device is unsupported or incompatible with the unlisted operating systems.

If you do NOT know the make & model of your device you can Search by Vendor / Device code as shown in device manager.
In the device manager, for the device you need driver for, Right click properties for the device, go in details for the device driver.
You will see a code like per example VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in this case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Once you have the two codes, go to www.pcidatabase.com.
Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your hardware. From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware.
Reply to nhasian Add to the list of quoted messages Select as best answer

alanH7
• 06-19-2012 at 12:39:55 PM
• | BBCode
For Win7, running printers from an XP Network (Homegroup). Do I install 32 bit Print drivers on Win7 or do I use the 64 bit printer drivers? Both are available from HP.

I can see the Shared printers from the Win7 PC, but it will not connect as Windows update will not download the printer drivers.

32 bit or 64 bit? Which do I install on the Win7 PC.

Help. Not have Windows XP network shared peer to peer networked printers showing up on Win7 Homegroup. So the HP1320 and HP3600 are installed and fully working on Win XP network. Windows Update will not automatically download the printer drivers on Win7.

So on Win7, do I download the 32 bit Win7 drivers or the 64 bit Win 7 drivers to use for installing the XP printers (both are Win7 compatible) on Win7?

Solution
Hello,

This is my original thread which got lost in the maze of requests. Please check the bottom to see the final Question on fixing this problem. Thank you. The rest is for reference only.

Hi, I have 2 XP Printers on a homegroup network. Installed a new Win7 PC. Can see the Printers shared on the XP network. Windows Update will not find the drivers to install the printers. How do I get Win7 to install and use these Win7 compatible printers HP1320 and HP3600. Do I install 32 bit drivers or 64 bit drivers on Win7. Full access to sharing to everyone on systems. Uninstalled McAfee firewall, windows firewall, and Print audit to ensure nothing blocks access to the printers. How do I get Win7 to recognize , install and use these...
Hello,

Hi, I have 2 XP Printers on a homegroup network. Installed a new Win7 PC. Can see the Printers shared on the XP network. Windows Update will not find the drivers to install the printers. How do I get Win7 to install and use these Win7 compatible printers HP1320 and HP3600. Do I install 32 bit drivers or 64 bit drivers on Win7. Full access to sharing to everyone on systems. Uninstalled McAfee firewall, windows firewall, and Print audit to ensure nothing blocks access to the printers. How do I get Win7 to recognize , install and use these 2 XP Printers?

nhasian
• 06-18-2012 at 08:32:26 PM
• | BBCode
Please visit the manufacturer's website to download the drivers for your device. You can use google to find the manufacturer's website if you do not know it. In the support section download the drivers for your specific make and model of the device for your version of Windows.

Note: If the manufacturer only lists drivers for Windows XP and not for Windows Vista or Windows 7, that means the device is unsupported or incompatible with the unlisted operating systems.

If you do NOT know the make & model of your device you can Search by Vendor / Device code as shown in device manager.
In the device manager, for the device you need driver for, Right click properties for the device, go in details for the device driver.
You will see a code like per example VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in this case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Once you have the two codes, go to www.pcidatabase.com.
Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your hardware. From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware.
Reply to nhasian Add to the list of quoted messages Select as best answer

alanH7
• 06-19-2012 at 12:39:55 PM
• | BBCode
For Win7, running printers from an XP Network (Homegroup). Do I install 32 bit Print drivers on Win7 or do I use the 64 bit printer drivers? Both are available from HP.

I can see the Shared printers from the Win7 PC, but it will not connect as Windows update will not download the printer drivers.

32 bit or 64 bit? Which do I install on the Win7 PC.

Help. Not have Windows XP network shared peer to peer networked printers showing up on Win7 Homegroup. So the HP1320 and HP3600 are installed and fully working on Win XP network. Windows Update will not automatically download the printer drivers on Win7.

So on Win7, do I download the 32 bit Win7 drivers or the 64 bit Win 7 drivers to use for installing the XP printers (both are Win7 compatible) on Win7?

If you are running Windows 7 64-bit, then download the 64 bit drivers for the pc that needs the prnter installed (you may need different drivers for each PCdepending onwhich version of Windows 7 you are running on that pc).
XP drivers mayor may not work, but you can try.

Solution

alanH7

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I can see the Windows XP network shared printers. Both the HP1320 and HP3600 are supported by Win7. HP product download centre says that the drivers come with Win 7. Windows Update does not find them to install the network printers.

Where can I re-load the Win 7 64 bit drivers for these 2 HP printers ?

alanH7

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for the microsoft web page. however. I have turned off all firewalls. Win 7 windows update does not find the drivers online and asks me to point to a hard drive location looking for .INF files for the printers. So with no firewalls, it should find the drivers online. If not how do I re down load them?

alanH7

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hi,
I now have turned off WIFI on the all In one desktop Dell A2320. The Win7 Dell is direct LAN connected. These computers are in an office environment, so I will attempt to retry on sunday morning when no one is around. It may have tried to connect to the printers via WIFI, instead of LAN. Saw note from microsoft above that after removing all 'firewalls' which I did, to run Windows FIREWALL for Network discovery to make printer sharing allowed between different versions of Windows. Computers are userid/password synced for access to file and printer sharing.

The Win XP computers are WIN XP Pro running Advanced file sharing. The Win7 PC is Win7 Home. Any other suggestions on getting these printers to share would be appreciated for sunday morning.

Thank you!

alanH7

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

July 15th, 2012.

Turned off McAfee software all 3 PCs and McAfee firewall, turned off Windows Firewall.

Win 7 PC did not recognize Win XP printers (supported by Win 7) over the network.

Ensured that the Printers were set to EVERYONE for security has FULL control over the printers, from Windows Security.

Ensured that Network discovery is on and fully discoverable to file sharing. Network printers Shared were visible to the Win 7 PC. Windows Update would not find device drivers for discovered printers.

Direct connected the Printers to the Win 7 PC and Win 7 installed drivers and printed okay to both the HP 1320 (Black and White Only) and the HP 3600 laserjets.

Reconnected printers direct back to our print 'server' PC. Got Win 7 PC to recognize the HP3600 (Color) over the network and it prints fine.

It would not recognize the HP1320 printer over the network. Now that the drivers are installed on Win 7, I find this difficult to believe! Well at least we have printing from the Win 7 PC after a month!

Reinstalled McAfee on all PC's.

Any further suggestions to get our Black & White printer HP1320 to print from Win 7?