LAN going on and off frequently, need help

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hello. In Windows 7 in the lower right, the small computer icon that indicates you have an internet connection through an ethernet cable (LAN) goes off (small x show on it) for 2-4 seconds then comes back instantly (icon returns with no x). It happens I'd say a good 2-4 times every 15-20 minutes. Sorry for the rough numbers, basically it has happens a lot. But not enough to call it constantly. My system specs are in my signature. My ISP is Comcast, my modem is motorola, and my router is dlink dir 615. I have also noticed it happens much more frequently when I'm playing games. When I'm just on my desktop it's a lot more rare but still happens frequently just not as frequent than when I play online games (WoW, BF3, TF2, etc). So maybe there's a weak point somewhere?

This has been happening since the moment my windows installed, I installed the motherboard's LAN drivers and this issue began immediately.

Here's what I've tried:
-Updating LAN drivers for mobo
-Using only the modem Note: Didn't happen the first time I tried it but as I used it for 2-3 hours this way the problems returned. I'll give it another try with the modem only later.
-No firmware updates for my router at this time
-Using a different ethernet cable

All of the above have failed. I really want to get this fixed so I'd highly appreciate some help.

I also want to add that this wasn't happening with my previous computer the issue began like I said as soon as I built this and booted windows 7. And if this info is necessary, the back of the PC's ethernet port is flashing yellow with a solid orangish light.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I guess one of the lessons here is, never get rid of your old “working” computer until your new computer is “proven”. Because it would sure be interesting to know if the old computer continued to work. And whether the fact the problems started at the same time you built a new machine is merely a coincidence.

To make matters worse, it’s not as if using just any old second computer would necessarily prove anything since you claim the problem occurs mostly w/ heavy gaming.

After going back through the thread, it appears the only thing you haven’t tried is replacing the ethernet adapter. Yeah, replacing the motherboard accomplishes the same thing. But that's like using a chainsaw to remove a hangnail. Why not just pick up a cheap...
Well we know it's not the router since it still occurs when connected directly to the modem. I suppose it could be a failed ethernet port on the modem. Do you have another wired device (desktop/laptop) that you could connect over wire to confirm the modem is OK? If the modem proves OK, then it could be a bad ethernet port on the motherboard. So try connecting the PC directly to another desktop/laptop. If that fails, then it’s highly likely to be the PC. Now try booting the PC w/ a live Linux CD (e.g., Ubuntu). If that proves reliable, then it’s not a hardware problem, but most likely software (drivers, OS conflicts, etc.).

That’s what you have to do. Be methodical and use a process of elimination to pin down the culprit.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Okay. I'm getting a replacement modem tomorrow, so I'll have new hardware to test with. Getting a new power cable and modem.

edit: I'm replacing it because the power cable being moved just slightly shuts off the power on the modem so I believe it has to do with that.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Now try booting the PC w/ a live Linux CD (e.g., Ubuntu). If that proves reliable, then it’s not a hardware problem, but most likely software (drivers, OS conflicts, etc.).

I've booted from a USB to Linux to update my SSD's firmware, so I guess it's not the motherboard then?

By the way, I got a new Modem and I'm now testing the issue without the router connected. So far, it's working good. But when connected to the router the issue begins. And I noticed that this issue was present (not the internet going out) but 2-3 second lag spikes on the old PC when I changed the router to this new router which is the D-Link DIR 615.

The reason I suggested trying Linux was based on the assumption that if the network now worked, and worked reliably, then it can't be a hardware issue. But merely booting to Linux to update your SSD firmware doesn't prove anything unless you actually used the ethernet adapter/connection (e.g., browsing, downloading).

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I could try using Linux but the thing is the issue mostly occurs in games where there is heavy load on the network. Like I said I will continue using this new modem provided by my ISP alone and see if the issue occurs again. I really hope it doesn't beacuse then everything will be pointed to the motherboard. Waiting 7-10 days for a replacement motherboard will suck :(.

I tried the router + modem on my laptop and there were no issues. I even played some games on it.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Okay, so it hasn't happened again. Yet before on my old modem with the power cable issues the issues will still persist, so could there have been a faulty router + modem? Cause like I said the problem occurs with this new modem and the router.

edit: Eidgrad, if the issues persist, what will be the next step?

I guess one of the lessons here is, never get rid of your old “working” computer until your new computer is “proven”. Because it would sure be interesting to know if the old computer continued to work. And whether the fact the problems started at the same time you built a new machine is merely a coincidence.

To make matters worse, it’s not as if using just any old second computer would necessarily prove anything since you claim the problem occurs mostly w/ heavy gaming.

After going back through the thread, it appears the only thing you haven’t tried is replacing the ethernet adapter. Yeah, replacing the motherboard accomplishes the same thing. But that's like using a chainsaw to remove a hangnail. Why not just pick up a cheap ethernet adapter before committing to such a drastic change. Heck, they have cheap little USB ethernet adapters on eBay for $2-3. Doesn’t mean you need to use it long term (although you could), but at least it’s a change in the network adapter. Might be the problem.

Solution

umliso25

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
It could be an ISP issue as well, although your problem has persisted for quite a long period of time. I was having an issue like yours, except mine only occuring during extreme weather (rain, snow, and such), and it turned out the ISP's cabling to my house was not properly insulated. You could give your provider a call and try to get them out there to replace or just cut the cables back a little and get some fresh wire to your house. You never know, networks have tons of issues all the time.

Other than that, to my knowledge it seems like it's your router or the ethernet port on your PC itself.

UMLISO25 makes a good point. I had forgotten that I actually had this very problem many years ago when I lived in Florida. Turned out the cable running from the street to my home was chaffed and just beaten up. The cable company ran new lines at no charge.

The cable company claims they replace the exposed wiring about every 10 yrs (the weather takes its toll). Of course, this is far more likely to be an issue in older neighborhoods and/or homes where exposed wiring is far more common (e.g., Northeast USA). And even if the cable company does replace the exposed wiring on a regular basis, they may not touch the exposed wiring from the street to your home. So it's definitely something to consider if this applies to your situation.

Iceycold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Everything seems to be working fine ladies and gents. Believe it or not, it was both the modem and the router faulty. When I had unplugged my router and only used my modem on my old PC the issue still occured I thought for sure it was the motherboard and expected for the same to happen on this new pc using the modem itself. But it didn't so the modem was faulty and the router was faulty as well because the issue occurs with the router as well.

Does this router look good? I'm going to return my D-Link DIR 615 and get this for $40, that's my budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122461

umliso25

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

living in new hampshire takes quite the toll on my network. But its good to know that you figured out your problem Icey.