OpenGL wont work on TV-OUT??

_zaphod_

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2002
I have never really experimented with TV-OUT because I never really wanted to buy hardware and extra stuff. But, now that I got my new computer, i was sitting in my room and i realized i could try it without buying anything new. My computer has an Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4400.

1) The vid card connector cord has 1 yellow "composite" connector and one, im guessing, digital connector. My TV has support for both.. so should which one should i use? (or both?..)

2) So i just used the digital one and it worked, but i still would like to know which one is better. I could see the computer screen on the tv but it was very blurry. i couldnt read any of the icon text or anything. i lowered the resolution for 1024x768 to 800x600 (That was as low as i could make it) and it got a little better, but i still couldnt hardly read anything. how do i make it clearer?

3)Then i tried Quake III. when it started though it said couldnt initialize OpenGL. So then i tried halflife and it froze when it was loading. These games have never messed up before so i put the monitor back on and it worked.. how is having a tv as a screen messing 3d games up while a CRT monitor does not?

thanks

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
1. Composite and S-video should be the same quality and you can't use both at the same time.
2. Text on your desktop is always very blurry. I don't know why, and I wish they would fix that but I notice that too. 800x600 seems to be the sweet spot (balancing resolution and clarity), 640x480 is just too pixelated (but the only way to read text) and 1024x768 is too grainy. Well, HDTV maybe? Who's got $5,000 to spare?
3. Wait for better drivers or look for a firmware update, but be careful. If your firmware update fails you can make your card totally inoperable (happened to me once, although the card was defective to begin with I think). In truth, TV-out is not very usable. There are numerous bugs like the one you reported. An ATi card I tried a long time ago, for instance, couldn't render direct3d games. I would have more confidence in an ATi AIW card, but I don't know about the rest. Try and see if D3d in Half-Life works with your 4400, maybe it will be better. Another thing is that when running games with TV out you can expect lower framerates than when you are using your computer monitor.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Text on your desktop is always very blurry. I don't know why
That´s because the TV´s "resolution" is everything but good.
Everything has this "blurry" filter...if you get a new telly you might see things clearer, but never as good as a monitor.

If the TV could output things as crisp and clear as an monitor, probably no one would buy a monitor :smile:

This is my old <font color=blue>Downdated</font color=blue>, <font color=green>Uneatable</font color=green> & <font color=red> rotten </font color=red> sig.