Solved

Wireless network

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Wireless Network
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 3, 2012 2:10:26 PM

I posted this before , but it was not finished. I have two Netgear routers. One is model WRN 1000v3 (wireless) which what I'm using, with 3 devices on it and a cable modem to my DSL. Now I want to set up my desktop on the other router model WGR614v7( also a wireless ) but I will wire it direct to the said computer. It is located on the other room.How will I set up the two routers.,. Sorry to say I have very limited networking experience but I can follow instructions and really if step by step I think should be able to follow..Thank you

More about : wireless network

July 3, 2012 5:56:01 PM

due to the limitation of the WGR614 router it cannot wirelessly connect to the main router.

m
l
July 3, 2012 9:57:59 PM

Emerald said:
due to the limitation of the WGR614 router it cannot wirelessly connect to the main router.

So ,if I decide to go on with the idea I need to purchase a new wireless router .Any suggestion? Or just stick with Netgear or can use any brand that will work with my existing one..thanks
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 12:45:24 AM

There was no answer to my question. Will any brand of wireless router will work for mave to stick with my new config. or have to stick with Netgear because that is the brand of my first router. This should be simple ,but I just to make sure before I buy something that I will regret. Waiting for any of your suggestion..
m
l
July 10, 2012 3:15:04 AM

you can use any router.

I use a ASUS RT-N16 which will do what you want when using DD-WRT firmware
m
l
July 10, 2012 8:09:16 AM

Emerald said:
you can use any router.

I use a ASUS RT-N16 which will do what you want when using DD-WRT firmware

Okay, as you said any router will do, what specs do I have to look for to hook it up to the other router.As previously stated I have the Netgear WNR 1000v3. as my main. Anyway what will happen if I turn it around, instead of this as my main, i will use the other Netgear WGR614, and my desktop on the WNR 1000v3. Or that model is not designed to work for my config. Okay, as soon as I purchased a new one ,I will post it again or try to get in touch with you since you are already familiar with my situation.. Thanks..
m
l

Best solution

July 10, 2012 1:43:02 PM

here is the link to the DD-WRT database, plug in a router you like to see if it can be upgraded

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
July 13, 2012 1:16:54 AM

Best answer selected by mblanch43.
m
l
!