speaker surround material torn

Last response: in Home Audio
August 8, 2005 3:27:04 AM

Hi all,

My speaker's surround material (the foam that connects the cone to the
frame) was torn, so I tore the whole thing away. What effect would this
have to the sound (I couldn't notice any)? Is it possible to replace by
DIY?

Thanks in advance.
Benn
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:33:40 PM

<benn4321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My speaker's surround material (the foam that connects the cone to the
> frame) was torn, so I tore the whole thing away. What effect would this
> have to the sound (I couldn't notice any)? Is it possible to replace by
> DIY?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Benn

Continuing to play the speaker will ruin it. The voice coil will scrape the
magnet plug and gap, and eventually seize up or short out.
There are people out there who can re-foam them, and foam ring kits are
available, but it's not really a DIY job, unless you want to risk botching
the job for the sake of learning.

I'm surprise you haven't noticed the sound distorting or breaking up.

Mark Z.
Anonymous
October 6, 2009 1:36:58 AM

Replacing a foam surround is a simple job, and if you have any competency with an exacto (o remove remnants of the old surround) and glue application, that's about all there is to it. And, it's good as new. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
There are kits online for about $10-$15 a speaker.
!