New Hard Drive Problem

Hut

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Here is my problem.

Im fixing up a computer. All the components work fine (I know from them being used before). The only problem is the hard drive. I'm trying to install windows, but the hard drive is cleaned right off. I mean completly wiped off. I know what to do once I get a command prompt, or it being able to be booted from the floppy drive, but I just get a message saying 'NTLDR is missing'.

So, can anyone help me? If you need more info just ask.

Thanks,

-Hut

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
What operating system are you trying to install? Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP CDs are all bootable. So, how did you "wipe off" your hard drive? Did you use FDISK to partition it, then format it from the command prompt?

If you're trying to install Windows 2000/XP, you need to boot from the CD to run setup.

Bryan

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - Host fixed network problems; I'm back up

Hut

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I'm trying to install Win98. When I boot the computer up, it starts booting then stop and says 'NTLDR is missing'. I put in a boot disk but the same thing happens.

I didnt clean off the hard drive, I got it like that. I hooked it up to my computer and it had nothing at all on it, so I was wondering if that would effect the windows installation. I soon found out it did.

-Hut

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you try partitioning the drive? Go into BIOS and set it to boot from CD. When the CD boot prog ask if you want to boot from CD or hard drive, choose CD. Then select "start computer with CDROM support" When it's done loading to DOS mode off the CD, it will tell you the letter of your CD drive. Assuming it's drive "D:" type the following, hitting enter after each line:
D:
fdisk

Follow the prompts to delete the old partitions, check to make sure they are all gone, and install the new partition/partitions. Reboot and follow the above instructions to get back into DOS mode from the CD, then:
D:
CD WIN98
Format c:

When it's done fomatting, type:

setup

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Your problem is that NTLDR is a boot file from Win NT. I'm guessing, but I reckon your drive has an NTFS format and you need to fdisk and delete the current primary partition and re-create it in a FAT32 format for Win98.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>