Onkyo A-7 info

Last response: in Home Audio
August 9, 2005 8:18:27 AM

I pick up a nice one of these last weekend.
Works great.
But all I'm able to learn about it is the age (c. 1979)
and output (about 65w/ch).
Is there anything else of interest about these to make them special?
(Other than it being a really nice sounding amp.)

TIA,

Collin
KC8TKA

More about : onkyo info

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:44:06 AM

Thanks for the info.

>Sound-quality wise, they didn't quite match up to
>good separate preamp/power amp combinations.

Many don't.
But for general listening it's pretty decent.
My son's NAD and old Sansui don't sound quite as nice.
The NAD has good low end, but not as much depth.
The Sansui has the depth but not as much low end.
They're also both slightly lower-powered.
(NAD @ 35w/ch & Sansui @ 50w/ch vs A-7 @ 65w/ch)

Got it @ a garage sale for $10. Took a chance. It was worth it.
What do they sell for used?

TIA,

Collin
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:36:57 PM

<dplotusnotes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I pick up a nice one of these last weekend.
> Works great.
> But all I'm able to learn about it is the age (c. 1979)
> and output (about 65w/ch).
> Is there anything else of interest about these to make them special?
> (Other than it being a really nice sounding amp.)
>
> TIA,
>
> Collin
> KC8TKA

The A-7 was one product which really helped put Onkyo on the map. They had a
line of pretty nice but under powered receivers - the TX-440, TX-560, etc.
Then came the breakthrough products, the TX-4500 which to my knowledge was
the first Quartz-Locked analog tuning receiver, then the A-7 integrated amp,
of which we sold as many as we could get and rightly thought it was better
than most of the competition. Then followed it's big brother the A-10, then
the smaller A-5. All were very reliable and well built, and good value for
the money at the time. Sound-quality wise, they didn't quite match up to
good separate preamp/power amp combinations.

Mark Z.
August 10, 2005 9:42:53 AM

I searched da 'bay the other day. There's not been one for a while.
Last one I saw on a google ng search was advertized, iirc, 1999 for
about $100.
Apparently not many of 'em left.

Collin
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:14:12 PM

> Thanks for the info.
>
>>Sound-quality wise, they didn't quite match up to
>>good separate preamp/power amp combinations.
>
> Many don't.
> But for general listening it's pretty decent.
> My son's NAD and old Sansui don't sound quite as nice.
> The NAD has good low end, but not as much depth.
> The Sansui has the depth but not as much low end.
> They're also both slightly lower-powered.
> (NAD @ 35w/ch & Sansui @ 50w/ch vs A-7 @ 65w/ch)
>
> Got it @ a garage sale for $10. Took a chance. It was worth it.
> What do they sell for used?
>
> TIA,
>
> Collin

Used value is extremely variable. Ebay is a good resource to see what things
can get in the real world. You got a deal - no question about that! Perhaps
about 75.00 to 100.00 depending on condition, whether the controls have been
recently cleaned, etc.

Mark Z.
June 14, 2010 4:12:20 PM

Hi, I bought a used Onkyo A-7 in great shape, nice and clean and knobs seem perfect...it powers up but after about 4 or 5 seconds the relay for the speaker protect(?) flips. ANyone know where to get a schematic for signal tracing or know what the problem might be? All wiring is perfect and there is no smell of burntness or anything the eye can see that is awry.
Thanks, CR in Bham WA
July 15, 2012 1:33:42 AM

ot more than $75-100. If they are close to mint they go for around $300. And rightly so. They blow away any other integrated amp I've ever used. I got one mint that I've had for years, and my father had it sonce he bought it when it first came out. It has never needed service. The thing is a monster and will last forever. Onkyo couldn't really afford to make something built like that for the money they were selling it for which is why they stopped. You ever see the face on one? Its like a quarter inch of solid aluminum if not thicker. And the insides are completely insane. Way over built. The power supply is 10lbs alone. I have it hooked up to my vintage jvc ql - a75 turntable and klipsch kg4 speakers and I have yet to hear anything better under $2000-2500. So great find! You stole it. I just saw one that was brand new in the box still for $700.00. Its was called the stomper because it stomped all the pioneers and others that were in its price range and with similar power. NEVER GET RID OF IT. I KNOW PEOPLE THAT ARE KICKING THEMSELVES FOR DOING SO. They're not as easy to come by as you would think.
January 9, 2013 7:24:32 PM

I had an Onkyo TX-6500 MKII receiver which I loved but was just too big and bulky; sold it and bought an Onkyo A7 in 7 physical and 9.5 operational condition, and find that I did really like the sound... BUT I've recently tried using the A7 as a preamp (a big advantage to older gear is that they have the MAIN IN / PRE OUTS, giving great flexibility) with a Nikko DC Alpha 230 - and I think I may have reached the long term sound I can live with: Sound Clear as glass, clean as a bell, detailed to the max, and not a hint of glare (or what I call ear-splitting-shimmer). Resolves "The Singer Must Die" on Jennifer Warnes' 20th Anniversary Edition of FAMOUS BLUE RAINCOAT (no small feat!), Taylor Swift was amazingly listenable, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Stadium Arcadium - Jupiter' came to life! Working my way again thru the Best of Kansas and Styx, Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger, Do It Accapella, Dead Can Dance, some Sinatra, Dean Martin and Ella, and Black Eyed Peas... Truthfully: one of the best audio decisions I've made was getting this A7 (and the Nikko amp) - this is a never-part-with-it piece of equipment. ENJOY YOUR MUSIC. Bill
!