Ethernet port not working after we brought TouchSmart PC

nin greegree

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hello,
I have recently brought an HP TouchSmart 520-1070a PC and since we got it and set it up with Wireless internet connection, the ethernet port wont work. The current drivers installed are: 802.11n Wireless LAN Card and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. These drivers came with the PC. The ethernet cables I am trying to use work fine, and they work on my old desktop Windows XP. When I troubleshoot the problem using troubleshooter, it says "plug in an ethernet cable into the network adapter."

Does anyone know what to do, or how I can fix this?

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
It's most likely Windows related. Either Windows is blocking the ethernet port in favor of the wireless connection, or the drivers should be reinstalled. I'd check the network connections in control panel, and then try a manual update of the drivers.

If all else fails, the port may not be wired correctly, in which case you're looking at a hardware issue, and HP may deserve an email or two...

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
With a couple of screwdrivers, but I wouldn't. If software options are exhausted, use the warranty, take it back to wherever you got it, and tell them you want the same thing with a working ethernet port.

The touchsmarts are too new and too expensive to suggest rooting around in them without a clear idea of what you're trying to fix. Let HP pay for their mistake, they have enough money.

And it never hurts to try a Linux live cd, just to rule out hardware over software issues. If the port works in ubuntu, it's software, if it continues to fail, HP owes you a decently built machine.

TRENDING THREADS