Sign in with
Your question

SOF2 and EAX Advanced HD sounds awesome!

Last response: in Components
June 17, 2002 6:06:13 AM

Just got SOF2 and I have to say that EAX Advanced on this game is freaking sweet!

BTW my Audigy is MUCH better with the new Compaq Audigy drivers!!! I suggest audigy users try them.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.
June 17, 2002 8:34:53 AM

Sorry, I have a REAL soundcard and A3D 2.0

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 17, 2002 1:57:56 PM

For those of you like me with Herculees or Turtle Beach cards that support EAX but not Ad. HD. Install the OpenAL executable on the SoF2 cd for EAX AD. HD. sound. You take a lil processor hit but still runs smooth as hot butter on my p4 1.7 And best of all you can keep the good positioning of Sensura=) Ahhhh, the clarity is amazing. **combines his old audigy with nitrous oxide and a lighter**

This is Houston, come in crashman, come in. EARTH to crashman where are you? We've lost contact with Crashman, assuming crash landing on mars. Contact lost, signal out of date. Too bad...was good while he lasted, if only we had a current patch so we could pick up that signal.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
Related resources
June 17, 2002 6:12:08 PM

A3D 2.0 is a superior technology that Creative is in the process of trying to kill. I don't use incompatable chipsets or unfriendly operating systems with mine.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
June 17, 2002 6:46:48 PM

Got a link to those drivers? I've got an Audigy in my box temporarily, so I can get a good opinion of Advanced HD.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 17, 2002 7:44:08 PM

You can find the link to them at

ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp20501-21000/SP20920.exe
(copy and paste)

Some say this and that about them but for me it has eliminated crashes and sounds better!
They are available off of compaqs FTP for presarios but have no branding in them.

Quake3 used to crash quite often for me but I can't blame that on the audigy necessarily, i did a clean format before i tried the new drivers and I hadnt done one for a long time. But I think these did help.

*update-link 'fixed', kept putting http in front of it

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 06/17/02 04:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 17, 2002 8:03:35 PM

1.2Megabytes per second, nice DL rate, planning on doing more testing with an audigy soon, will try these when i do.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
June 17, 2002 8:47:55 PM

My system has been rock solid with these drivers. People have problems because the audigy is a bit of a hog and you cant use junk power supplys, junk motherboards with a halfwitted system builder and expect something cutting edge like an audigy that hasnt been on the market long to work perfect.

But mine does.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.
June 17, 2002 9:31:18 PM

lol, i love the way you put that. It never ceases to amaze me all the problems people have with sound cards and graphics cards and motherboards when their setups are almost exactly like mine and mine works perfect.

That said, the only problem i had with creative's drivers was corrupted .vxd's. Every once in a while their software pack/drivers would corrupt a .vxd file (i forget which one now) but it was mission critical and windows 98 and windows me would be completely pharked by it causing a reformat. Eventually i got disgusted working with it and upgraded to audigy, lucky for creative when i was with audigy i was also with windows xp at the same time and have been since. My personal complaints with audigy arise not from system crashes or corrupted files but with other things... of which i am not going to rant about here again as there's someone who will surely flame me for days again if i do.

A properly researched and built pc doesnt have problems-) its all the guys who order stuff then come here and say "will this work okay?" then 5 minutes later post "GF4's DONT WORK WITH P4'S!" that make stuff look alot worse than it is=)

June 17, 2002 10:17:20 PM

Thanks, I'll update to these when I get home.

June 17, 2002 11:27:07 PM

Quote:
BTW my Audigy is MUCH better with the new Compaq Audigy drivers!!! I suggest audigy users try them.

I haven't had any problems with Creative's official drivers but I don't mind updating to the latest and greatest. But are these Compaq drivers based on new Creative drivers about to be released or something? I mean, Compaq can't just go and create drivers for the Audigy without Creative's approval right...

Ritesh
June 18, 2002 5:04:22 PM

Geez, I forgot these things are 377MB. That's just obscene. Stupid Compaq.

June 18, 2002 6:36:55 PM

Quote:
Geez, I forgot these things are 377MB. That's just obscene. Stupid Compaq.

That's ridiculous even for broadband users. I think I know what it is. Creative released a minor update to their drivers back in March or thereabouts. This Compaq "update" is probably just the original Audigy installation CD updated with the new driver dated from March, which IIRC only fixed an issue or two with the silly Playcenter app. No changes to the core driver. Sigh, Creative driver development at its best again. Not that I have a cause to really complain, since I've had literally zero problems on my 440BX setup.

Ritesh
!