A request for an opinion

Okay, here's what I'm doing and I'm all ears for anyone's thoughts as I
am a complete newbie. I'm installing premise wiring in my new home
which will be framed by the end of the week. I'm installing Bose 191
speakers in the ceiling of my master bedroom and my office, as well as
Bose 251 outdoor speakers on my patio; all powered by a single Bose
SA-3 amplifier that will be located in the media center of my great
room. In my structured wiring cabinet will be a Niles Speaker
Distribution Hub (VCS Hub 8) and in each room with speakers will be a
Niles VCS100R Speaker Volume Control with Selectable Impedance
Magnification. The SA3 amp will be connected via BoseLink to a
Lifestyle 38 Home Theater system located in the great room, such that I
can play music at any or all of the speakers through the SA3 amp and
control the volume with the Speaker Volume Controls in each room. Now,
this configuration allows me to play anything I can connect or play
from the Lifestyle 38 system. However, let's say I want to connect the
TV in the master bedroom to an amplifier and push that to my master
bedroom speakers? From what I read, one solution is to connect my
speakers to an A/B audio switch so that I can switch from the SA3 amp
in the media center to the amplifier connected to the television in the
bedroom. Does this make sense? Further, I am told that I should wire
the speakers connected to the SA3 amplifier (a total of 3 pairs) in
'series' versus parallel. Does this also sound right? I'd appreciate
any input either here or to andrewpaez@verizon.net . Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about request opinion

    <andrewpaez@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Okay, here's what I'm doing and I'm all ears for anyone's thoughts as I
    > am a complete newbie. I'm installing premise wiring in my new home
    > which will be framed by the end of the week. I'm installing Bose 191
    > speakers in the ceiling of my master bedroom and my office, as well as
    > Bose 251 outdoor speakers on my patio; all powered by a single Bose
    > SA-3 amplifier that will be located in the media center of my great
    > room. In my structured wiring cabinet will be a Niles Speaker
    > Distribution Hub (VCS Hub 8) and in each room with speakers will be a
    > Niles VCS100R Speaker Volume Control with Selectable Impedance
    > Magnification. The SA3 amp will be connected via BoseLink to a
    > Lifestyle 38 Home Theater system located in the great room, such that I
    > can play music at any or all of the speakers through the SA3 amp and
    > control the volume with the Speaker Volume Controls in each room. Now,
    > this configuration allows me to play anything I can connect or play
    > from the Lifestyle 38 system. However, let's say I want to connect the
    > TV in the master bedroom to an amplifier and push that to my master
    > bedroom speakers? From what I read, one solution is to connect my
    > speakers to an A/B audio switch so that I can switch from the SA3 amp
    > in the media center to the amplifier connected to the television in the
    > bedroom. Does this make sense?

    This could cause some difficulty with the impedance matching volume
    controls, but you might be able to "get away with" a/b switching between the
    speaker feed from the volume control and the speaker feed from your TV
    amplifier.

    > Further, I am told that I should wire
    > the speakers connected to the SA3 amplifier (a total of 3 pairs) in
    > 'series' versus parallel. Does this also sound right?

    Not if you are going to be using the Niles Speaker Distribution Hub with
    Selectable Impedance Magnification (impedance matching). You should wire it
    according to the instructions given here:
    http://www.nilesaudio.com/pdffiles/manuals/Volume_Controls/VCS_HUB8.pdf

    > I'd appreciate
    > any input either here or to andrewpaez@verizon.net . Thanks.

    I probably should have included this also:
    http://www.nilesaudio.com/pdffiles/manuals/Volume_Controls/WVC100-WVC100E.pdf

    You need to follow the instructions as closely as possible, or the system
    will not work as desired, and some very expensive damage could result.

    <andrewpaez@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Okay, here's what I'm doing and I'm all ears for anyone's thoughts as I
    > am a complete newbie. I'm installing premise wiring in my new home
    > which will be framed by the end of the week. I'm installing Bose 191
    > speakers in the ceiling of my master bedroom and my office, as well as
    > Bose 251 outdoor speakers on my patio; all powered by a single Bose
    > SA-3 amplifier that will be located in the media center of my great
    > room. In my structured wiring cabinet will be a Niles Speaker
    > Distribution Hub (VCS Hub 8) and in each room with speakers will be a
    > Niles VCS100R Speaker Volume Control with Selectable Impedance
    > Magnification. The SA3 amp will be connected via BoseLink to a
    > Lifestyle 38 Home Theater system located in the great room, such that I
    > can play music at any or all of the speakers through the SA3 amp and
    > control the volume with the Speaker Volume Controls in each room. Now,
    > this configuration allows me to play anything I can connect or play
    > from the Lifestyle 38 system. However, let's say I want to connect the
    > TV in the master bedroom to an amplifier and push that to my master
    > bedroom speakers? From what I read, one solution is to connect my
    > speakers to an A/B audio switch so that I can switch from the SA3 amp
    > in the media center to the amplifier connected to the television in the
    > bedroom. Does this make sense? Further, I am told that I should wire
    > the speakers connected to the SA3 amplifier (a total of 3 pairs) in
    > 'series' versus parallel. Does this also sound right? I'd appreciate
    > any input either here or to andrewpaez@verizon.net . Thanks.

    I did something similar when I built my home 10 years ago. I wired my home
    with 14 gauge Vampire speaker wire and used Niles for speaker selection and
    volume control. Two things I would suggest, use good speaker wire and do
    not let the electrician run your speaker wires parallel to your electrical
    wires. The electrician will be tempted to do this because it is the easy
    way out. Just drag them along with the power through the drilled holes.
    The speaker wires need to cross the electrical wires at 90 degrees unless
    that is impossible. Otherwise, when you finally get the house built and all
    your stuff hooked up, you could wind up with 60 cycle hum and finding where
    it originates would be a nightmare.

    I'm driving 5 pairs of speakers and have had no problems. I can't speak to
    your desire to use some of the speakers with two different amplifiers. I
    drive mine with one. The TV in the master BR is not part of my home
    entertainment system.

    Good luck,
    Bill

    <andrewpaez@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Okay, here's what I'm doing and I'm all ears for anyone's thoughts as I
    > am a complete newbie. I'm installing premise wiring in my new home
    > which will be framed by the end of the week. I'm installing Bose 191
    > speakers in the ceiling of my master bedroom and my office, as well as
    > Bose 251 outdoor speakers on my patio; all powered by a single Bose
    > SA-3 amplifier that will be located in the media center of my great
    > room. In my structured wiring cabinet will be a Niles Speaker
    > Distribution Hub (VCS Hub 8) and in each room with speakers will be a
    > Niles VCS100R Speaker Volume Control with Selectable Impedance
    > Magnification. The SA3 amp will be connected via BoseLink to a
    > Lifestyle 38 Home Theater system located in the great room, such that I
    > can play music at any or all of the speakers through the SA3 amp and
    > control the volume with the Speaker Volume Controls in each room. Now,
    > this configuration allows me to play anything I can connect or play
    > from the Lifestyle 38 system. However, let's say I want to connect the
    > TV in the master bedroom to an amplifier and push that to my master
    > bedroom speakers?

    It seems a complicated and expensive way to proceed to me; you end up with
    only one choice of sound in all rooms, because you have only a single
    amplifier.

    Of course you might regard that as an advantage. And there is the advantage
    that with no amplifier for each set of speakers, you don't need mains power.

    But I think if I were doing it, I'd distribute balanced line-level signals
    rather than speaker-level signals, install an amplifier for each set of
    speakers, and use that to control their volume. It would also provide for
    local source selection - the amplifier in each room could either select the
    distributed audio, or a local source (eg computer). The amplifier in each
    room would also provide for heaphone/earphone use in each room.

    To provide the multiple line-level signals, I'd experiment first to see if
    the central amplifier's tape-out could drive all the desired lines (via a
    balanvced line driver.). If not I'd build or buy a line-level signal
    distributor, which takes one pair of inputs and produced multiple outputs.
    That's a pretty easy thing to build ... not much more than power supply,
    connectors, and $2 in op-amps for each desired output .

    Tim

    Tim Martin wrote:
    > But I think if I were doing it, I'd distribute balanced line-level signals
    > rather than speaker-level signals, install an amplifier for each set of
    > speakers, and use that to control their volume.

    Or, if you're worried about noise, I suppose you could distribute at
    speaker-level but then attenuate down to line-level at the destination
    before re-amplifying...

    My current solution, since I don't need _different_ signals in different
    places, is a single system and remote control

Speakers Audio