Sign in with
Your question

Reinstalling windows 7 help

Last response: in Windows 7
April 15, 2012 8:58:29 AM

Hey guys, so i have a few questions. You see, i am upgrading my motherboard/cpu for my current computer and from what i understand i will have to repair (Most likely reinstall) windows 7. I still have my CD/box so all that is sweet.
My questions are firstly, am i right to believe i will have to reinstall windows 7 and secondly, will i lose all my programs/files from this. I have been told that because i am reinstalling the same copy of windows 7 on my machine i wouldn't lose my files, not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks heaps!

More about : reinstalling windows

a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 9:09:31 AM

Hi, if you are staying with the same chipset family, and ie going from a x2 250cpu with amd 760 chipset to an x4 with 970 chipset, and then no from personal experience you won't have to reinstall. It is recommended however to ensure you have the correct drivers.

If you reinstall your os you will have all your old files but you will have to reinstall all your applications and games etc.
m
l
April 15, 2012 9:13:29 AM

here are my upgrades.

Motherboard:

TO: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard

CPU:

TO: Intel Core i7 2600K
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 9:28:42 AM

Yes, I given the massive leap in technology I would highly recommend a full reinstall to ensure complete compatibility with your new hardware. Nice rig btw.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 9:43:42 AM

fatmilkman said:
I have been told that because i am reinstalling the same copy of windows 7 on my machine i wouldn't lose my files, not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks heaps!

This is completely untrue. You should do a clean install, which means everything on the OS partition is wiped out. everything (besides steam games on another partition) will need reinstalled. So make sure you grab all your files.

I like to.make a drive image with easeus todo backup (which is free) on a second harddrive. That way you can't forget anything, and you can mount it in the new OS and grab anything you need. If that's not an option or you don't have a place for a full image just be thorough and make sure you get everything you need.

Please note if you have an OEM version of windows you cannot install it on a different computer/motherboard than the original and it will not activate.
m
l
!