P910 Firmware Updates

Last response: in Brands
January 28, 2005 10:25:37 AM

Hi, Has anyone tried the firmware updates from the Sonyericsson web
site. Are the upgrades worthwhile? Do the advantages outway the risk
of having a "dead" phone if anything fails?
I look forward to your comments.
Regards
Phil Green

More about : p910 firmware updates

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:43:32 AM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:25:37 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:

> Hi, Has anyone tried the firmware updates from the Sonyericsson web site.
> Are the upgrades worthwhile? Do the advantages outway the risk of having
> a "dead" phone if anything fails?

> I look forward to your comments.

I have and I haven't been able to get it to work yet. :-(

After talking with SEUK tech support the advice is that if you really want
an upgrade (although how you're supposed to know if you don't know what the
upgrade fixes is another matter) then take your phone to a Carphone
Warehouse and get them to upgrade it.

I have tried 4 times with one supposed success (although the version number
didn't change so I'm suspicious of that one) and although I've had to
remove the battery on the 3 failures to revive it I've never 'lost' my
phone.

Interestingly, every time I've spoke to SEUK about it they've always told
me that the web site is broken, even though other people claim to have
succeeded.

--
Regards
Barry

Spoke to SEUK they said it would not affect my warranty. Spoke to Carphone
Warehouse, they said they couldn't upgrade. So tried new link on SE web site
and tried the upgrade. Everything went well, even though the phone had been
supplied by Orange in the UK.

Version number changed and restored all my data OK.

Regards

Phil Green

"BJH" <barryh@nospam.kentra.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:25:37 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:
>
>> Hi, Has anyone tried the firmware updates from the Sonyericsson web site.
>> Are the upgrades worthwhile? Do the advantages outway the risk of having
>> a "dead" phone if anything fails?
>
>> I look forward to your comments.
>
> I have and I haven't been able to get it to work yet. :-(
>
> After talking with SEUK tech support the advice is that if you really want
> an upgrade (although how you're supposed to know if you don't know what
> the
> upgrade fixes is another matter) then take your phone to a Carphone
> Warehouse and get them to upgrade it.
>
> I have tried 4 times with one supposed success (although the version
> number
> didn't change so I'm suspicious of that one) and although I've had to
> remove the battery on the 3 failures to revive it I've never 'lost' my
> phone.
>
> Interestingly, every time I've spoke to SEUK about it they've always told
> me that the web site is broken, even though other people claim to have
> succeeded.
>
> --
> Regards
> Barry
January 29, 2005 7:43:35 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:14:05 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:

> Spoke to SEUK they said it would not affect my warranty. Spoke to Carphone
> Warehouse, they said they couldn't upgrade. So tried new link on SE web site
> and tried the upgrade. Everything went well, even though the phone had been
> supplied by Orange in the UK.
>
> Version number changed and restored all my data OK.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil Green
>
> "BJH" <barryh@nospam.kentra.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:25:37 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Has anyone tried the firmware updates from the Sonyericsson web site.
>>> Are the upgrades worthwhile? Do the advantages outway the risk of having
>>> a "dead" phone if anything fails?
>>
>>> I look forward to your comments.
>>
>> I have and I haven't been able to get it to work yet. :-(
>>
>> After talking with SEUK tech support the advice is that if you really want
>> an upgrade (although how you're supposed to know if you don't know what
>> the
>> upgrade fixes is another matter) then take your phone to a Carphone
>> Warehouse and get them to upgrade it.
>>
>> I have tried 4 times with one supposed success (although the version
>> number
>> didn't change so I'm suspicious of that one) and although I've had to
>> remove the battery on the 3 failures to revive it I've never 'lost' my
>> phone.
>>
>> Interestingly, every time I've spoke to SEUK about it they've always told
>> me that the web site is broken, even though other people claim to have
>> succeeded.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Barry

So what's the link?

And what is your new version number?

Mine is currently:

Phone: R3E008
Organiser: R1A30

--
Best regards
Barry

Barry,
The new version number is Organiser :R3A04

The link is:-
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver...

Hope you fine it useful.
Regards
Phil.

"BJH" <barryh@kentra.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:14:05 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:
>
>> Spoke to SEUK they said it would not affect my warranty. Spoke to
>> Carphone
>> Warehouse, they said they couldn't upgrade. So tried new link on SE web
>> site
>> and tried the upgrade. Everything went well, even though the phone had
>> been
>> supplied by Orange in the UK.
>>
>> Version number changed and restored all my data OK.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Phil Green
>>
>> "BJH" <barryh@nospam.kentra.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> I have and I haven't been able to get it to work yet. :-(
>>>
>>> After talking with SEUK tech support the advice is that if you really
>>> want
>>> an upgrade (although how you're supposed to know if you don't know what
>>> the
>>> upgrade fixes is another matter) then take your phone to a Carphone
>>> Warehouse and get them to upgrade it.
>>>
>>> I have tried 4 times with one supposed success (although the version
>>> number
>>> didn't change so I'm suspicious of that one) and although I've had to
>>> remove the battery on the 3 failures to revive it I've never 'lost' my
>>> phone.
>>>
>>> Interestingly, every time I've spoke to SEUK about it they've always
>>> told
>>> me that the web site is broken, even though other people claim to have
>>> succeeded.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Barry
>
> So what's the link?
>
> And what is your new version number?
>
> Mine is currently:
>
> Phone: R3E008
> Organiser: R1A30
>
> --
> Best regards
> Barry
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:25:15 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:

> Barry,
> The new version number is Organiser :R3A04
>
> The link is:-
> http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver...
>
> Hope you fine it useful.
> Regards
> Phil.
>

> "BJH" <barryh@kentra.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:14:05 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:
>>
>>> Spoke to SEUK they said it would not affect my warranty. Spoke to
>>> Carphone
>>> Warehouse, they said they couldn't upgrade. So tried new link on SE web
>>> site
>>> and tried the upgrade. Everything went well, even though the phone had
>>> been
>>> supplied by Orange in the UK.
>>>
>>> Version number changed and restored all my data OK.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Phil Green
>>>
>>> "BJH" <barryh@nospam.kentra.co.uk> wrote in message

>> So what's the link?
>>
>> And what is your new version number?
>>
>> Mine is currently:
>>
>> Phone: R3E008
>> Organiser: R1A30
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Barry

That's interesting. When I ran the update it told me that my new Organiser
version was R3E008 which is the same version number as my current Phone
version.

Anyway I successfully ran the update, but the version number stayed put at
R1A30, so I guess it must be something to do with my phone being a
'Vodafone' version.

My CDA number is 162006/16, what's yours?

--
Regards
Barry

Barry,
My phone CDA is 162006/5 R3A01 on Orange.
My new Organiser is R3A04
and Phone R4B002

!