P910 Firmware Updates

Hi, Has anyone tried the firmware updates from the Sonyericsson web
site. Are the upgrades worthwhile? Do the advantages outway the risk
of having a "dead" phone if anything fails?
I look forward to your comments.
Regards
Phil Green
6 answers Last reply
More about p910 firmware updates

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:25:37 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:

    > Hi, Has anyone tried the firmware updates from the Sonyericsson web site.
    > Are the upgrades worthwhile? Do the advantages outway the risk of having
    > a "dead" phone if anything fails?

    > I look forward to your comments.

    I have and I haven't been able to get it to work yet. :-(

    After talking with SEUK tech support the advice is that if you really want
    an upgrade (although how you're supposed to know if you don't know what the
    upgrade fixes is another matter) then take your phone to a Carphone
    Warehouse and get them to upgrade it.

    I have tried 4 times with one supposed success (although the version number
    didn't change so I'm suspicious of that one) and although I've had to
    remove the battery on the 3 failures to revive it I've never 'lost' my
    phone.

    Interestingly, every time I've spoke to SEUK about it they've always told
    me that the web site is broken, even though other people claim to have
    succeeded.

    --
    Regards
    Barry

    Spoke to SEUK they said it would not affect my warranty. Spoke to Carphone
    Warehouse, they said they couldn't upgrade. So tried new link on SE web site
    and tried the upgrade. Everything went well, even though the phone had been
    supplied by Orange in the UK.

    Version number changed and restored all my data OK.

    Regards

    Phil Green

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:14:05 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:

    > Spoke to SEUK they said it would not affect my warranty. Spoke to Carphone
    > Warehouse, they said they couldn't upgrade. So tried new link on SE web site
    > and tried the upgrade. Everything went well, even though the phone had been
    > supplied by Orange in the UK.
    >
    > Version number changed and restored all my data OK.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Phil Green
    >
    > "BJH" <barryh@nospam.kentra.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:25:37 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, Has anyone tried the firmware updates from the Sonyericsson web site.
    >>> Are the upgrades worthwhile? Do the advantages outway the risk of having
    >>> a "dead" phone if anything fails?
    >>
    >>> I look forward to your comments.
    >>
    >> I have and I haven't been able to get it to work yet. :-(
    >>
    >> After talking with SEUK tech support the advice is that if you really want
    >> an upgrade (although how you're supposed to know if you don't know what
    >> the
    >> upgrade fixes is another matter) then take your phone to a Carphone
    >> Warehouse and get them to upgrade it.
    >>
    >> I have tried 4 times with one supposed success (although the version
    >> number
    >> didn't change so I'm suspicious of that one) and although I've had to
    >> remove the battery on the 3 failures to revive it I've never 'lost' my
    >> phone.
    >>
    >> Interestingly, every time I've spoke to SEUK about it they've always told
    >> me that the web site is broken, even though other people claim to have
    >> succeeded.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >> Barry

    So what's the link?

    And what is your new version number?

    Mine is currently:

    Phone: R3E008
    Organiser: R1A30

    --
    Best regards
    Barry

    Barry,
    The new version number is Organiser :R3A04

    The link is:-
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=ps1_1_5_7&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10183

    Hope you fine it useful.
    Regards
    Phil.

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:

    > Barry,
    > The new version number is Organiser :R3A04
    >
    > The link is:-
    > http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=ps1_1_5_7&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10183
    >
    > Hope you fine it useful.
    > Regards
    > Phil.
    >

    > "BJH" <barryh@kentra.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:14:05 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:
    >>
    >>> Spoke to SEUK they said it would not affect my warranty. Spoke to
    >>> Carphone
    >>> Warehouse, they said they couldn't upgrade. So tried new link on SE web
    >>> site
    >>> and tried the upgrade. Everything went well, even though the phone had
    >>> been
    >>> supplied by Orange in the UK.
    >>>
    >>> Version number changed and restored all my data OK.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Phil Green
    >>>
    >>> "BJH" <barryh@nospam.kentra.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> So what's the link?
    >>
    >> And what is your new version number?
    >>
    >> Mine is currently:
    >>
    >> Phone: R3E008
    >> Organiser: R1A30
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best regards
    >> Barry

    That's interesting. When I ran the update it told me that my new Organiser
    version was R3E008 which is the same version number as my current Phone
    version.

    Anyway I successfully ran the update, but the version number stayed put at
    R1A30, so I guess it must be something to do with my phone being a
    'Vodafone' version.

    My CDA number is 162006/16, what's yours?

    --
    Regards
    Barry

    Barry,
    My phone CDA is 162006/5 R3A01 on Orange.
    My new Organiser is R3A04
    and Phone R4B002

    > On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:35:35 +0000 (UTC), Phil Green wrote:
    >
    >> Barry,
    >> The new version number is Organiser :R3A04
    >>
    >> The link is:-
    >> http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=ps1_1_5_7&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10183
    >>
    >> Hope you fine it useful.
    >> Regards
    >> Phil.
    >>

    >> "BJH" <barryh@kentra.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> So what's the link?
    >>>
    >>> And what is your new version number?
    >>>
    >>> Mine is currently:
    >>>
    >>> Phone: R3E008
    >>> Organiser: R1A30
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best regards
    >>> Barry
    >
    > That's interesting. When I ran the update it told me that my new Organiser
    > version was R3E008 which is the same version number as my current Phone
    > version.
    >
    > Anyway I successfully ran the update, but the version number stayed put at
    > R1A30, so I guess it must be something to do with my phone being a
    > 'Vodafone' version.
    >
    > My CDA number is 162006/16, what's yours?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Barry

Ericsson Firmware