violatr

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
I am running a AMD K6-2 350 Processor with Windows ME and 128mb RAM, and a Diamond Viper V550 AGP version. The problem I am having is the lack of performance I am getting from my card, in small areas of games it is smooth, but when I go out to an open area things slow down heaps the game I am trying to run is Counter-strike. Is it the AGP bus speeds, or the CPU bus speed? It is clocked at 5.5x75, the PCI bus is at 37.5 and AGP at 75, what should this be at? Can someone help me please! :)

Geoff

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I don't have much info but from what I can tell it looks like you just need a new computer. Half-Life seems to be fairly CPU dependant but a good GPU is also necessary to replace that obsolete viper 550. A K6-2 just isn't going to cut it. I know exactly what you mean by slowing down though. You said it was at 75Mhz bus with 5.5 multiplier? That sounds overclocked to me. If you have never changed your system bus then don't change it or anything cause it's good that it works at those speeds!

Get a new processor, mobo, RAM, it will cost you about $250 if you get mid-to-high end components. Ask around the other forums for help, you'll get lots. GL

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your computer supports it, it's supposed to be set at 3.5x100!!! This will make your computer MUCH FASTER due to increased memory speed. Of course you'll need PC100 SDRAM if you don't already have it.

I'd go for a TNT2 AGP card, NOT the M64 version which is half-speed, nor the Vanta. You should be able to find the original TNT2 for about $30, such as the Diamond Viper V770.
The original Radeon LE can be had for about $40, it's much faster. There are several reasons why I wouldn't choose anything else, mostly due to power issues on Super 7 boards.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>