kross0101

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hello,
I have been looking for a solution... this is my problem.. i have an outdoor antenna and is connected to an alfa device and that device is connected to a USB to my computer...i have connectify but i don't want to have my computer ON all the time..so what I want is to use a router, is it possible to connect a USB alfa to a Router? maybe I have to change the router firmware and can you suggest good router to do this. I know a lot of people have this setup lol...so please can you help me with that ?

Thanks

kross0101

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
if i buy a router with USB on the back such as NETGEAR N600 WNDR3400 can i set that one as a repeater? i think it will be cheaper.. please advise

Thanks for your help :)

So you need a repeater, that's the fundamental issue here?

While you can use the Alfa as a repeater, either using its built-in hotspot feature, or using Connectify (as long as you have the paid version), it always requires the laptop to establish its USB connection. There's no way to hang the USB cable off a router.

If you want a better solution, by all means, use a standalone device dedicated to that purpose. Some routers support repeating as a configurable feature, while others support repeating via third party firmware (e.g., dd-wrt). Fortunately, at least according to the dd-wrt database, it appears the WNDR3400 router is supported.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

But again, it has nothing to do w/ the Alfa USB wireless adapter. The dd-wrt compatible router itself does all the repeating. So the fact the router may or may not have a USB port is irrelevant.

kross0101

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
so my option is: have full version of connectivity and send data to an Ethernet cable and change with a router running dd-wrt (repeater).. if that's my only option i think ill do that.
Thanks all.