Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which Cable Modem/Wifi Router is best for me?

Last response: in Networking
July 4, 2012 6:57:38 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering which one of these would be the better option for me using Charter with about 20 Mbps speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG658...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056VN9M4/ref=olp_pro...

Thank you for your time,

Rob

Best solution

July 5, 2012 1:31:56 AM

I would go with the Motorola Surfboard. I use the Surfboard SB6121 with a separate router and find the Surfboard an excellent product. I've used Zoom stuff in the past and not liked the quality of their products.
July 5, 2012 4:06:00 AM

RealBeast said:
I would go with the Motorola Surfboard. I use the Surfboard SB6121 with a separate router and find the Surfboard an excellent product. I've used Zoom stuff in the past and not liked the quality of their products.

Out of curiosity, what router did you use?
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2012 8:02:49 PM

Rob_3 said:
Out of curiosity, what router did you use?
I used a DLink DIR-655 on my cable modem and one on my DSL modem (backup network) and then three more of them as wireless access points -- it's a big house with a guest house and I wanted seamless roaming coverage in the house and on the patio around the pool. It's a great N router and it is pretty inexpensive, but it is not dual band if you need that now.

I just liked the idea of using a separate router that I could change without getting another modem.

I'm really waiting for 801.11ac draft routers late this year or early next to upgrade my networks (the current 801.11ac stuff is not quite ready for prime time IMO).
m
l
July 5, 2012 8:37:10 PM

RealBeast said:
I used a DLink DIR-655 on my cable modem and one on my DSL modem (backup network) and then three more of them as wireless access points -- it's a big house with a guest house and I wanted seamless roaming coverage in the house and on the patio around the pool. It's a great N router and it is pretty inexpensive, but it is not dual band if you need that now.

I just liked the idea of using a separate router that I could change without getting another modem.

I'm really waiting for 801.11ac draft routers late this year or early next to upgrade my networks (the current 801.11ac stuff is not quite ready for prime time IMO).

Thank you very much for your input. You have helped me greatly
m
l
July 5, 2012 8:37:20 PM

Best answer selected by Rob_3.
m
l
!