audigy vs acoustic edge

saynt

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
hey all you comparason shoppers out there,

which card do you think is better, the philips accoustic edge or the sound blaster audigy?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
how many times has this been gone over?

I've always liked creative's stuff and prefer the audigy.. if you know what your doing use it. Mines awesome and Jedi Knight 2 and SOF2 sound great with EAX Advanced.
I wouldnt have anythign else but most here will recommend a hercules gametheaterxp or acoustic edge, between the two I've heard the acoustic edge is better.

To me its like this, if you game-you use microsoft OS's, if you game-you use AMD processors, if you game-you use Nvidia, if you game-you use Audigy.
if you game-you lose the rest!

If you have other interests other hardware can be better (less trouble in some cases) but if you want your games looking and sounding the best they possibly can read again above.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
hehe, well when you bring in the AE card you talking about something completely different than the SC/GTXP vs Audigy debate.

The AE is for music, it is NOT a card recommended for gaming usage as both the SC/GTXP and Audigy will outdo it with their much better drivers for games.

As far as music is concerned however, its right close to the SC/GTXP. AE is slightly better on very high quality speakers only is the general impression from most people at dedicated sound sites. But for overall soundcard, AE is not a logical choice, if the AE appeals strongly to you, the closest to it and much better for gaming is the Santa Cruz or GTXP.

And thank you but I am a SERIOUS gamer and i use the GTXP, P4, MS, and Nvidia.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
To me its like this, if you game-you use microsoft OS's, if you game-you use AMD processors, if you game-you use Nvidia, if you game-you use Audigy.
Lol can you be any more impartial...

Well, you got the Microsoft OS right, but I'm gaming along just fine with a P3 and a Voodoo5. Ok, so I just completed Ultima 1 two days ago (yes I really did, full EGA color!) and haven't quite caught up with Morrowind.

Ritesh

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
LOL, who's partial??? :)

I need to go get morrowind, i was a daggerfall freak but sometimes found the scope of the game pretty daunting!

Nothing especially WRONG with gaming on a P3 (unless your trying to impress anyone :p) but I'm still mad about intel pricing on my 286,386,486dx2/33,486dx4/100,p133.. since amd came out with the athlon i'm a changed man.
IMO it took PC's until the 486 era until they caught up with the graphics and sound of my old commodore 64. eh maybe 386 era (DOOM!). not that pc games werent fun nonetheless.

all this history talk isnt good to help out the noob so back on topic!

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. Microsoft, Nvidia, and Audigy have the largest market share in their respective market. Since their have the most popular poduct most the game will work the best with them.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I need to go get morrowind, i was a daggerfall freak but sometimes found the scope of the game pretty daunting!
Yeah I enjoyed Daggerfall but its randomly generated dungeons sometimes had bugs and the gameworld was ridiculously huge. The storyline was pretty cool though.

but I'm still mad about intel pricing on my 286,386,486dx2/33,486dx4/100,p133.. since amd came out with the athlon i'm a changed man.
It wasn't just the CPUs, *every* part of a computer cost a lot back then. Since then, AMDs been able to offer cheap CPUs but only because they've sacrificed healthy profits. That's why its financial situation has always been so precarious. Can't blame Intel for running its business the right way!

IMO it took PC's until the 486 era until they caught up with the graphics and sound of my old commodore 64. eh maybe 386 era (DOOM!).
Agreed, I have an Amiga emulator and an Atari ST emulator. Both have graphics and sound that easily rival any 486-era machine.

all this history talk isnt good to help out the noob so back on topic!
Eh, discussion groups are made for going off on tangents right? :-0

Ritesh

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Bah, my PCjr running MS Flight Simulator 1.0 in 4 color roxored. Now THATS good graphics :smile:

edit:NM, i just remembered 1.0 was still only 2 colors. It was oregon trail that had 4 colors. Ah yes, i remember it well. When i bought the 16 color upgrade cartridge for it in 86 now then i was on top of the world. Oh yea, 16 colors, gotta love that photo realism.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 06/18/02 10:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
<i>kinney says:</i>
I need to go get morrowind

Yes, you do :tongue:

<i>upec says:</i>
Since their have the most popular poduct most the game will work the best with them.

I couldn't disagree more. Please tell me how marketshare magically creates superior products. Oh, and you didn't mention how AMD somehow falls outside this logic?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A product that have the largest market share might not be the best product but it will have the best support from product from other manufactuer.

Windows is not as stable as Linux but most game support only Windows because Windows is a lot more popular than Linux. Creative Labs was able to push out new feature (for example EAX ADVANCED HD). It is also because Creative Labs have the largest market share so game manufacturer will support the new feature.

This logic is not applicable to AMD since Intel still have a larger market share than AMD.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Timegate studio's which produced Kohan has the best support of any game ever made=) Also about the smallest game studio around and they didn't sell all that many copies=) niche game.

But in general i agree with your end result of argument but i disagree on you get there=) The bigger companies often have more compatibility because of better quality assurance, they can spend alot more on it. Intel spends millions on QA all for everything it releases according to what i've read.

When a company like raven chooses only to support one brand sound card, its not a fault of the sound cards, its a fault of the company that did the dirty deed. Raven's JK2 and SoF2 have alot more problems and shortcuts taken besides only implementing one eax protocol, that being Adv HD. That one was strange, its like they just didnt have enough people on the project because most of what they got into those games is fantastic, just not all of it. Most games will continue to support A3D and EAX 1, 2, and 3.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What do you want to prove with Timegate studio's Kohan? What support it get from other manufacturer? I mean Microsoft is not going to change Windows if Kohan is not compatible with Windows.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In reply to:
The bigger companies often have more compatibility because of better quality assurance, they can spend alot more on it. Intel spends millions on QA all for everything it releases according to what i've read.

Do you think Creative Labs' sound card and Microsoft Windows have more compatibility because of better quality assurance?

I think the main reason most of hardwares and softwares are compatible with Windows is because it is the most popular OS. Game manfacturers are supporting the new features of Audigy is because Creative Lab has a large market share not because Creative has better quality assurance

FatBurger

Illustrious
This logic is not applicable to AMD since Intel still have a larger market share than AMD.

Exactly. So you have a P4 because everything works better for it?
I haven't had any compatability problems with my GTXP, strangely enough. In fact, it works even better for games than the Audigy! Amazing!

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I was in software ect the other day and looked morrowind *DROOL*. :)

But I've got many games sitting around that need finished.

An interesting thought i had the other day, what happens when Doom 3 is released for PC.. as if that wont have a huge enough impact in itself.
But then I thought about what will happen when its ported to the Xbox. paystation/gaystation and gamepube (my own little cuts on the japboxes) can not handle that game like its PC counterpart. I think it will be interesting.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
But then I thought about what will happen when its ported to the Xbox. paystation/gaystation and gamepube (my own little cuts on the japboxes) can not handle that game like its PC counterpart. I think it will be interesting.
Well the little consoles can run these games fine mainly because of the low resolution on the TV. The XBox would choke if it had to run Morrowind at 1280x1024. Personally, the #1 thing I can't stand about consoles is having to stare at the ugly TV graphics. I saw Final Fantasy X on a friend's PS2 and my opinion was: "This game would look AMAZING on the PC". Because the special effects and animations were awesome, but the resolution was so poor that everything was blurry and pixelated.

Even when I played Ultima I last week on my machine at full screen 320x200x16(!), I much preferred it to playing a console game on a TV because on a monitor the picture is so clean and vibrant with a high refresh rate, with no ugly scan lines crossing the screen.

Ritesh

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to many review site including tom's hardware currently the fastest P4 is faster than the fastest Athlon.

In reply to:
I haven't had any compatability problems with my GTXP, strangely enough. In fact, it works even better for games than the Audigy! Amazing!

It is only your experience. I did not have any problem with live or Audigy. I get my Live almost 4 years ago. I was using a Pentium 166 and I upgrade my motherboard 3 time. I also used Live with Linux, Windows 95, 98SE, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP. I did not have any problem with any of them. I installed 3 audigy into computers I built for friends and relative. Me and my friends think Audigy is the best game card ever. More people think Creative have a better sound card you can tell this from creative's market share.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
P4a's are currently the best, yes, just go ask in the cpu forum here on tom's.

What i was sayin by bringing up the game Kohan and timegate studio's is that often small companies do have excellent support and even better than large ones. The reason for this is that they actually care about their customers and fans.

What i meant by bringing up QA with large companies was that they have the ability, not neccessarily the will though to put together some awsome AQ. Creative does not do this, intel, however, does. Its just an observation that large companies should be able to guarantee wide spread compatibility, often, however, they fail to do so.

Just a couple of observations=)

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you miss understand the support I am talking about. I am talking about the support a product from one company gets from other company. For example, Microsoft Windows is supported by many other hardware and software manufacturers.

I am trying to point out that a popular product works better because it has better support from other company.

FatBurger

Illustrious
<i>upec says:</i>
More people think Creative have a better sound card you can tell this from creative's market share.

And almost all the people that own a Creative card have never tried anything else (this is true with other brands, but not to the same extent). This doesn't mean they think they're better, it just means that they've heard the brand name before and made their choice based on that.

75% or more of America thinks that AMD is a second-rate processor and would never buy one. So does that mean that it's true? The masses are stupid, never forget that.

And I haven't had any problems with the Audigy, I think you missed my point. You're saying that games are made specifically for a certain type of hardware, and therefore will work better. This is not true. Games are built on APIs (EAX, A3D, etc), and all cards use those. Programmers implement those in the game, not the card. The game can't tell whether you have an Audigy, Live, GTXP, TBSC or whatever else. All it knows is whether or not it supports EAX, EAX2, EAX3, A3D, A3D2.0, Miles, etc.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
BUT, AMD is currently an inferior processor=) I know it was superior 3 months ago but Intels P4a's have overtaken it as a power user, power builder processor=)

Well, price no withstanding anyhow....heh.

I can see why people would be attached to Creative as a company, they make their products seem alot better than they really are and crush all real competition they possibly can in order to gain a bigger market share. They also throw lots of bloatware into their boxes to get people to buy it by ooo ooo bargain factor on the shelf. They're marketting is by far the strongest because they are so big=) Its kinda like the contest between IE and Netscape, who's really gonna win that? common now...we all knew that was over 5 years before it actually was over, and we were right. Duh, netscape got crushed in the pc market. Creative's problem is it uses its power muscles to get its cards on machines by force instead of blatently superior techknowlogy. Why do you think Creative crushed aureal? Because it saw a serious threat in a small company that was developing technology creative couldn't keep up with.

Big companies don't work with each other, they work against each other. Things start at the top. Chip makers have to build their chips to work with binary code and build instruction sets into them so that they can work with assembly(at least i believe thats how it goes at that level). Motherboard makers are required to build boards that work with the processors they're given. PCI card manufacturers are required to build cards that work withthe motherboard specs they are given. Programmers are required to build programs that work with the API's used by the motherboard and PCI/AGP cards etc... So, little Timegate studios gains nothing by working with Intel or microsoft, they simply take the information avialable to them and build a program to work with it. Its all up to the invidivual developers of software and hardware to make their products compatible with as much equipment as possible.

Thats why intel buys everything and assembles multi million dollar quality assurance labs. Creative could if it wanted to, i know they have some AQ, no idea how much, obviously not quite as good as intel's though as there HAVE been genuine serious problems with their cards in the past. Most problems however occur with two techknowlogies coming out at the same time that turn out to not like each other. The solution to that is the company or companies to release patches. Creative's downfall is it never releases patches cause it doesnt care.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I also fail to see how Turtle Beach or Herculees products fail to work as good as Creative's. Over the lifetimes of all 3 lines i've been consistently more happy with Turtle Beach and Herculees, i've used products TB and Creative since 1998 and Herc since 99 i believe.

Don't have a single game that won't run on my GTXP, and i have tons of games. Sure op flashpoint has a minor problem with EAX but it sounds fine without EAX on that game. Creative's live 5.1 driver package caused my endless problems, it caused corrupted VXD's multiple times in windows 98 and especially windows me. Each time forced a total reformat as windows became unaccessable. Audigy didnt do that to me thankfully, worked fine since i got the audigy but i don't use those OS's anymore now either, i'm using WinXP. I'm not saying problesm with Live 5.1's software means problems with audigy's. It doesn't. What it does mean is that you CANNOT assume larger companies will have better support or compatibility, i find its QUITE often the exact opposite.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The difference between this and IE/Netscape is that Netscape lost not because IE is made by Microsoft, but because Netscape is complete and utter crap.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In reply to:
75% or more of America thinks that AMD is a second-rate processor and would never buy one. So does that mean that it's true? The masses are stupid, never forget that.

A lot people who is very knowledgable about computer think Intel still have better product. Many network administrators think AMD is not as good as Intel that is why AMD have problem get into the corporate market. Most network administrators choose Intel because Intel have less problem than AMD and that including the network administrator works in my company who is very knowledgeable about computer.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In reply to:
And almost all the people that own a Creative card have never tried anything else (this is true with other brands, but not to the same extent). This doesn't mean they think they're better, it just means that they've heard the brand name before and made their choice based on that.

Maybe because Creative have good products and most user feel satisfied and not willing to switch.