Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Philips
  • Sound Blaster
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 17, 2002 8:23:37 PM

hey all you comparason shoppers out there,

which card do you think is better, the philips accoustic edge or the sound blaster audigy?

More about : audigy acoustic edge

June 17, 2002 8:57:31 PM

how many times has this been gone over?

I've always liked creative's stuff and prefer the audigy.. if you know what your doing use it. Mines awesome and Jedi Knight 2 and SOF2 sound great with EAX Advanced.
I wouldnt have anythign else but most here will recommend a hercules gametheaterxp or acoustic edge, between the two I've heard the acoustic edge is better.

To me its like this, if you game-you use microsoft OS's, if you game-you use AMD processors, if you game-you use Nvidia, if you game-you use Audigy.
if you game-you lose the rest!

If you have other interests other hardware can be better (less trouble in some cases) but if you want your games looking and sounding the best they possibly can read again above.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.
June 17, 2002 9:44:14 PM

hehe, well when you bring in the AE card you talking about something completely different than the SC/GTXP vs Audigy debate.

The AE is for music, it is NOT a card recommended for gaming usage as both the SC/GTXP and Audigy will outdo it with their much better drivers for games.

As far as music is concerned however, its right close to the SC/GTXP. AE is slightly better on very high quality speakers only is the general impression from most people at dedicated sound sites. But for overall soundcard, AE is not a logical choice, if the AE appeals strongly to you, the closest to it and much better for gaming is the Santa Cruz or GTXP.

And thank you but I am a SERIOUS gamer and i use the GTXP, P4, MS, and Nvidia.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 17, 2002 11:33:26 PM

Quote:
To me its like this, if you game-you use microsoft OS's, if you game-you use AMD processors, if you game-you use Nvidia, if you game-you use Audigy.

Lol can you be any more impartial...

Well, you got the Microsoft OS right, but I'm gaming along just fine with a P3 and a Voodoo5. Ok, so I just completed Ultima 1 two days ago (yes I really did, full EGA color!) and haven't quite caught up with Morrowind.

Ritesh
June 18, 2002 3:46:10 AM

LOL, who's partial??? :) 

I need to go get morrowind, i was a daggerfall freak but sometimes found the scope of the game pretty daunting!

Nothing especially WRONG with gaming on a P3 (unless your trying to impress anyone :-P) but I'm still mad about intel pricing on my 286,386,486dx2/33,486dx4/100,p133.. since amd came out with the athlon i'm a changed man.
IMO it took PC's until the 486 era until they caught up with the graphics and sound of my old commodore 64. eh maybe 386 era (DOOM!). not that pc games werent fun nonetheless.

all this history talk isnt good to help out the noob so back on topic!

June 18, 2002 7:56:39 AM

I agree. Microsoft, Nvidia, and Audigy have the largest market share in their respective market. Since their have the most popular poduct most the game will work the best with them.
June 18, 2002 12:49:06 PM

Quote:
I need to go get morrowind, i was a daggerfall freak but sometimes found the scope of the game pretty daunting!

Yeah I enjoyed Daggerfall but its randomly generated dungeons sometimes had bugs and the gameworld was ridiculously huge. The storyline was pretty cool though.

Quote:
but I'm still mad about intel pricing on my 286,386,486dx2/33,486dx4/100,p133.. since amd came out with the athlon i'm a changed man.

It wasn't just the CPUs, *every* part of a computer cost a lot back then. Since then, AMDs been able to offer cheap CPUs but only because they've sacrificed healthy profits. That's why its financial situation has always been so precarious. Can't blame Intel for running its business the right way!

Quote:
IMO it took PC's until the 486 era until they caught up with the graphics and sound of my old commodore 64. eh maybe 386 era (DOOM!).

Agreed, I have an Amiga emulator and an Atari ST emulator. Both have graphics and sound that easily rival any 486-era machine.

Quote:
all this history talk isnt good to help out the noob so back on topic!

Eh, discussion groups are made for going off on tangents right? :-0

Ritesh
June 18, 2002 2:53:56 PM

Bah, my PCjr running MS Flight Simulator 1.0 in 4 color roxored. Now THATS good graphics :smile:

edit:NM, i just remembered 1.0 was still only 2 colors. It was oregon trail that had 4 colors. Ah yes, i remember it well. When i bought the 16 color upgrade cartridge for it in 86 now then i was on top of the world. Oh yea, 16 colors, gotta love that photo realism.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 06/18/02 10:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 18, 2002 4:52:11 PM

Quote:
<i>kinney says:</i>
I need to go get morrowind

Yes, you do :tongue:

Quote:
<i>upec says:</i>
Since their have the most popular poduct most the game will work the best with them.

I couldn't disagree more. Please tell me how marketshare magically creates superior products. Oh, and you didn't mention how AMD somehow falls outside this logic?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 18, 2002 8:01:44 PM

A product that have the largest market share might not be the best product but it will have the best support from product from other manufactuer.

Windows is not as stable as Linux but most game support only Windows because Windows is a lot more popular than Linux. Creative Labs was able to push out new feature (for example EAX ADVANCED HD). It is also because Creative Labs have the largest market share so game manufacturer will support the new feature.

This logic is not applicable to AMD since Intel still have a larger market share than AMD.
June 18, 2002 8:16:04 PM

Timegate studio's which produced Kohan has the best support of any game ever made=) Also about the smallest game studio around and they didn't sell all that many copies=) niche game.

But in general i agree with your end result of argument but i disagree on you get there=) The bigger companies often have more compatibility because of better quality assurance, they can spend alot more on it. Intel spends millions on QA all for everything it releases according to what i've read.

When a company like raven chooses only to support one brand sound card, its not a fault of the sound cards, its a fault of the company that did the dirty deed. Raven's JK2 and SoF2 have alot more problems and shortcuts taken besides only implementing one eax protocol, that being Adv HD. That one was strange, its like they just didnt have enough people on the project because most of what they got into those games is fantastic, just not all of it. Most games will continue to support A3D and EAX 1, 2, and 3.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
June 18, 2002 8:38:34 PM

What do you want to prove with Timegate studio's Kohan? What support it get from other manufacturer? I mean Microsoft is not going to change Windows if Kohan is not compatible with Windows.
June 18, 2002 8:59:43 PM

In reply to:
The bigger companies often have more compatibility because of better quality assurance, they can spend alot more on it. Intel spends millions on QA all for everything it releases according to what i've read.

Do you think Creative Labs' sound card and Microsoft Windows have more compatibility because of better quality assurance?

I think the main reason most of hardwares and softwares are compatible with Windows is because it is the most popular OS. Game manfacturers are supporting the new features of Audigy is because Creative Lab has a large market share not because Creative has better quality assurance
June 18, 2002 9:23:08 PM

Quote:
This logic is not applicable to AMD since Intel still have a larger market share than AMD.

Exactly. So you have a P4 because everything works better for it?
I haven't had any compatability problems with my GTXP, strangely enough. In fact, it works even better for games than the Audigy! Amazing!

June 19, 2002 3:28:06 AM

I was in software ect the other day and looked morrowind *DROOL*. :) 

But I've got many games sitting around that need finished.

An interesting thought i had the other day, what happens when Doom 3 is released for PC.. as if that wont have a huge enough impact in itself.
But then I thought about what will happen when its ported to the Xbox. paystation/gaystation and gamepube (my own little cuts on the japboxes) can not handle that game like its PC counterpart. I think it will be interesting.

June 19, 2002 3:49:18 AM

Quote:
But then I thought about what will happen when its ported to the Xbox. paystation/gaystation and gamepube (my own little cuts on the japboxes) can not handle that game like its PC counterpart. I think it will be interesting.

Well the little consoles can run these games fine mainly because of the low resolution on the TV. The XBox would choke if it had to run Morrowind at 1280x1024. Personally, the #1 thing I can't stand about consoles is having to stare at the ugly TV graphics. I saw Final Fantasy X on a friend's PS2 and my opinion was: "This game would look AMAZING on the PC". Because the special effects and animations were awesome, but the resolution was so poor that everything was blurry and pixelated.

Even when I played Ultima I last week on my machine at full screen 320x200x16(!), I much preferred it to playing a console game on a TV because on a monitor the picture is so clean and vibrant with a high refresh rate, with no ugly scan lines crossing the screen.

Ritesh
June 19, 2002 3:57:40 AM

According to many review site including tom's hardware currently the fastest P4 is faster than the fastest Athlon.

In reply to:
I haven't had any compatability problems with my GTXP, strangely enough. In fact, it works even better for games than the Audigy! Amazing!

It is only your experience. I did not have any problem with live or Audigy. I get my Live almost 4 years ago. I was using a Pentium 166 and I upgrade my motherboard 3 time. I also used Live with Linux, Windows 95, 98SE, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP. I did not have any problem with any of them. I installed 3 audigy into computers I built for friends and relative. Me and my friends think Audigy is the best game card ever. More people think Creative have a better sound card you can tell this from creative's market share.
June 19, 2002 2:06:04 PM

P4a's are currently the best, yes, just go ask in the cpu forum here on tom's.

What i was sayin by bringing up the game Kohan and timegate studio's is that often small companies do have excellent support and even better than large ones. The reason for this is that they actually care about their customers and fans.

What i meant by bringing up QA with large companies was that they have the ability, not neccessarily the will though to put together some awsome AQ. Creative does not do this, intel, however, does. Its just an observation that large companies should be able to guarantee wide spread compatibility, often, however, they fail to do so.

Just a couple of observations=)

June 19, 2002 2:20:07 PM

I think you miss understand the support I am talking about. I am talking about the support a product from one company gets from other company. For example, Microsoft Windows is supported by many other hardware and software manufacturers.

I am trying to point out that a popular product works better because it has better support from other company.
June 19, 2002 5:00:46 PM

Quote:
<i>upec says:</i>
More people think Creative have a better sound card you can tell this from creative's market share.

And almost all the people that own a Creative card have never tried anything else (this is true with other brands, but not to the same extent). This doesn't mean they think they're better, it just means that they've heard the brand name before and made their choice based on that.

75% or more of America thinks that AMD is a second-rate processor and would never buy one. So does that mean that it's true? The masses are stupid, never forget that.

And I haven't had any problems with the Audigy, I think you missed my point. You're saying that games are made specifically for a certain type of hardware, and therefore will work better. This is not true. Games are built on APIs (EAX, A3D, etc), and all cards use those. Programmers implement those in the game, not the card. The game can't tell whether you have an Audigy, Live, GTXP, TBSC or whatever else. All it knows is whether or not it supports EAX, EAX2, EAX3, A3D, A3D2.0, Miles, etc.

June 19, 2002 6:28:34 PM

BUT, AMD is currently an inferior processor=) I know it was superior 3 months ago but Intels P4a's have overtaken it as a power user, power builder processor=)

Well, price no withstanding anyhow....heh.

I can see why people would be attached to Creative as a company, they make their products seem alot better than they really are and crush all real competition they possibly can in order to gain a bigger market share. They also throw lots of bloatware into their boxes to get people to buy it by ooo ooo bargain factor on the shelf. They're marketting is by far the strongest because they are so big=) Its kinda like the contest between IE and Netscape, who's really gonna win that? common now...we all knew that was over 5 years before it actually was over, and we were right. Duh, netscape got crushed in the pc market. Creative's problem is it uses its power muscles to get its cards on machines by force instead of blatently superior techknowlogy. Why do you think Creative crushed aureal? Because it saw a serious threat in a small company that was developing technology creative couldn't keep up with.

Big companies don't work with each other, they work against each other. Things start at the top. Chip makers have to build their chips to work with binary code and build instruction sets into them so that they can work with assembly(at least i believe thats how it goes at that level). Motherboard makers are required to build boards that work with the processors they're given. PCI card manufacturers are required to build cards that work withthe motherboard specs they are given. Programmers are required to build programs that work with the API's used by the motherboard and PCI/AGP cards etc... So, little Timegate studios gains nothing by working with Intel or microsoft, they simply take the information avialable to them and build a program to work with it. Its all up to the invidivual developers of software and hardware to make their products compatible with as much equipment as possible.

Thats why intel buys everything and assembles multi million dollar quality assurance labs. Creative could if it wanted to, i know they have some AQ, no idea how much, obviously not quite as good as intel's though as there HAVE been genuine serious problems with their cards in the past. Most problems however occur with two techknowlogies coming out at the same time that turn out to not like each other. The solution to that is the company or companies to release patches. Creative's downfall is it never releases patches cause it doesnt care.

June 19, 2002 6:36:12 PM

I also fail to see how Turtle Beach or Herculees products fail to work as good as Creative's. Over the lifetimes of all 3 lines i've been consistently more happy with Turtle Beach and Herculees, i've used products TB and Creative since 1998 and Herc since 99 i believe.

Don't have a single game that won't run on my GTXP, and i have tons of games. Sure op flashpoint has a minor problem with EAX but it sounds fine without EAX on that game. Creative's live 5.1 driver package caused my endless problems, it caused corrupted VXD's multiple times in windows 98 and especially windows me. Each time forced a total reformat as windows became unaccessable. Audigy didnt do that to me thankfully, worked fine since i got the audigy but i don't use those OS's anymore now either, i'm using WinXP. I'm not saying problesm with Live 5.1's software means problems with audigy's. It doesn't. What it does mean is that you CANNOT assume larger companies will have better support or compatibility, i find its QUITE often the exact opposite.

June 19, 2002 7:18:07 PM

The difference between this and IE/Netscape is that Netscape lost not because IE is made by Microsoft, but because Netscape is complete and utter crap.

June 19, 2002 7:20:22 PM

In reply to:
75% or more of America thinks that AMD is a second-rate processor and would never buy one. So does that mean that it's true? The masses are stupid, never forget that.

A lot people who is very knowledgable about computer think Intel still have better product. Many network administrators think AMD is not as good as Intel that is why AMD have problem get into the corporate market. Most network administrators choose Intel because Intel have less problem than AMD and that including the network administrator works in my company who is very knowledgeable about computer.
June 19, 2002 7:31:03 PM

In reply to:
And almost all the people that own a Creative card have never tried anything else (this is true with other brands, but not to the same extent). This doesn't mean they think they're better, it just means that they've heard the brand name before and made their choice based on that.

Maybe because Creative have good products and most user feel satisfied and not willing to switch.
June 19, 2002 7:48:26 PM

No, they choose intel because IBM, Compaq and Dell's servers all use Intel processors.

IBM, Compaq, and Dell choose intel because AMD's never made workstation/server products. Not because AMD is inferior(which i'm not debating). Just correcting you because i feel like being contrary right (Gamestop is late getting in NWN so i'm being an nvidiot). =P

June 19, 2002 7:51:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe because Creative have good products and most user feel satisfied and not willing to switch

BINGO, Upec wins the cookie! When i finally got the point where i was willing to switch and try something else (i had always been satisfied with creative after support ran out for my Aureal card) i found out I actually like Sensura based cards from TB and Herc more. Its just a factor of complacency and strong willed people wanted badly to believe they're equipment is vastly superior to everyone else's. My liking Sensura more is also just a matter of preference though. Creative makes goood cards, no ones arguing with that.

June 19, 2002 8:27:21 PM

Actually AMD can't keep up with Intel's production and they really don't make a lot of high end stuff. That's why they can't get into datacenters all over the world. They hope to change that with Opteron

HULK SMASH!!!
June 19, 2002 10:55:05 PM

Quote:
A lot people who is very knowledgable about computer think Intel still have better product.

Yes, but I'm missing your point.

Quote:
Maybe because Creative have good products and most user feel satisfied and not willing to switch.

Perhaps, but that does not make Creative better, it just makes the consumer ignorant and lazy.

June 21, 2002 9:06:41 AM

In reply to:

and

Perhaps, but that does not make Creative better, it just makes the consumer ignorant and lazy.

It seen like if poeple don't agree with you then they are either stupid or ignorant and lazy. Please try to respect people with different opinion and stop insulting people.

The 75% or more American is not really wrong about Intel have better product. For server, Intel definitely offers better systems than what AMD offers. For desktop, AMD has great processors but I never recommend my friend to get a AMD base computer until recently. The reason is simply the chipset for AMD CPU is not good. I think the first chipset that is stable and perform well is the VIA KT266A. It come out less than 9 month ago and it took me a few month to believe that it is actually a stable plateform. To many people stablility is a lot more important than speed and price. For some appliction I still willing to pay more for the stability Intel offers I am still using a P3 1 GHz(When the time I purchase the CPU P3 1GHz cost a lot more than AMD Athlon 1GHz.) with a BX chipset based Motherboard for my file server because I think it is still the most stable plateform.
June 21, 2002 1:04:17 PM

Can the AMD vs. Intel battle stay in the CPU forum.

This is the place for Creative vs. GXTP/TBSC.

As I said earlier I like the GXTP better, and know that is only for games. I think the Audigy EX gives you more on the music end. But it's only been several days since I received both. Although I haven't had any of the problems with installing either on W2KPro that I've heard a few others have had.

HULK SMASH!!!
June 21, 2002 2:23:44 PM

*snarl* *snarl* *growl* *snap*

Targetted: Creative audigy. FIRE! "I cast magic missile* Creative marketing reflects spell. Aureal takes 14 reflected damage from magic missile. aureal destroyed.

Calling all heros, we must conquer Creative Marketting. Its the ultimate evil!

June 21, 2002 2:26:22 PM

ooo, are they working well with both installed together? I'm told they will for those that are interested. Though i must admit i'm quite surprised to hear you like the audigy for music and GTXP for gaming, most people that keep a love for the audigy do so for gaming and not music. Interestante.

Mind giving us an idea of what it is about the audigy's music you like? I'm quite curious now.

June 21, 2002 3:10:51 PM

I have the Promedia 5.1s and the mids seems to come through clearer when I am playing music on the Audigy EX (I am still trying to figure out the true differenc between the Audigy and the Audigy EX). Voices have a much clearer tone and I haven't figured out why (on the Audigy EX). They just seem to be sharper then on the GXTP. But on games, voices sound a lot better and the positioning is better by a mile (on the GXTP). Aslo, the Audigy EX comes with a load of extra software that I haven't taken the time to install. Mostly for music editing, which I have no interest in right now. I think there is a lot more to uncover and I will do my best to push these two cards to their limits. I haven't used any MP3s yet. Also, the Audigy is hooked up to the DVD while the GXTP is hooked up to the CDRW. Should that make a significant difference is "probly" the question I should be asking.

One last note on positioning: it's weird but the positioning on the Audigy Ex is more broad, like it is quartering the space and coming form strictly one speaker.

On the GXTP is seems to almost cut it into to 1/16 so I can naturally feel what direction I should be looking. I don't think there should be that big a difference so I will do more experimentation.

HULK SMASH!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gal128 on 06/21/02 01:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 4:14:43 PM

Wow, you pretty much nailed it. I agree with everything you've said i think. Please try to be a little clearing about which card you refering to when you make your observations though, some of that is hard to figure out.

The difference between that sharper voice and the sound on the GTXP is that the GTXP has a warmer sound to it, the Audigy can actually be classified as slightly harsh in the sound. With speakers of Klipsh 5.1 quality and up it is possible to strike a real good quality combination with the audigy. Real problems can arise however when you expect that quality to be there on all speakers and headphones. The harshness of the audigy isnt fun on my Sennhiesser headphones. The sound is alot clearer and more comfortable to listen too of the SC/GTXP. So, the bottom line is, they're just very different. My taste prefers the GTXP/SC.

On positioning, i totally agree with you. When playing games in 4 speaker on the audigy it does seem like picks one speaker and just blasts the sound from it while the GTXP/SC seem to gradually shift, giving a much smoother sound transition. The end result is a much better position and volume placement for gaming in my opinion with the GTXP/SC.

Best CD playback you'll get from either of them is to take a Discman (portable cd player) and use an adapter to input the sound into your breakout box from which it will come out your speakers in stereo x2. I guarantee this is FAR better than using the cd drive in your pc. Though, i'm not sure the card will actually be processing that sound much=))) For mp3's, try the coolplayer mp3 player for the best mp3 playback. I have a link to it in one of my recent posts on this sound forum. Search for my posts in this forum, you'll recognize the title when you see it. Also a link to a fantastic cd player for cd drives in there.

If you have SoF2, i'd like to hear a comparison of that game using the EAX Ad. HD of the audigy and the GTXP with the Open AL. installed off the SoF2 cd which gives EAX HD effects to it on the GTXP/SC. Also find that SoF2 has good positioning if you wanna try some stuff with it.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WilliamC on 06/21/02 12:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 4:19:50 PM

Quote:
It seen like if poeple don't agree with you then they are either stupid or ignorant and lazy. Please try to respect people with different opinion and stop insulting people.

You're allowed to have any opinion you want, as long as you back it up. If you say a specific product is the best ever when you haven't used anything else, I'm not going to pretend to think you're well informed. If you use faulty logic to try and prove something is better (e.g. biggest market share = best product), then I'll refute it. It has nothing to do with what your opinion is and everything to do with why you have that opinion.

June 21, 2002 5:21:26 PM

In reply to:

You're allowed to have any opinion you want, as long as you back it up. If you say a specific product is the best ever when you haven't used anything else, I'm not going to pretend to think you're well informed. If you use faulty logic to try and prove something is better (e.g. biggest market share = best product), then I'll refute it. It has nothing to do with what your opinion is and everything to do with why you have that opinion.

and

Which part of the statment you give a reason to back up that AMD is better than Intel? You just state your opinion and calling people think Intel is better stupid. Different people think differently. Even you think other people's logic is wrong you should not just explain why you think they are wrong without insulting them.
June 21, 2002 5:29:37 PM

Uh, he never said AMD was better than Intel as far as I can see. Sides...whoever said it was right, should reserve those discussions for the cpu forum.

Can we stop talking about AMD and Intel in here, everyone?

June 21, 2002 5:38:50 PM

When did I state that I think biggest market share = best product? I just state that product with biggest market share works better because other manufacturer have better support for them. For example, I never think Windows is best OS but it works best for me. The only reason it works best for me is because it is the most popular OS and almost all the hardware and software supports it.
June 21, 2002 5:54:35 PM

Quote:
Which part of the statment you give a reason to back up that AMD is better than Intel?

Show me where I said that and you get a cookie.

Quote:
You just state your opinion and calling people think Intel is better stupid.

Yes, I think I'm the biggest idiot ever (I have a P4).

Quote:
Different people think differently.

I agree.

Quote:
Even you think other people's logic is wrong you should not just explain why you think they are wrong without insulting them.

Where have I insulted anyone?

Quote:
When did I state that I think biggest market share = best product?

Right here:
Quote:
More people think Creative have a better sound card you can tell this from creative's market share.

Quote:
I just state that product with biggest market share works better because other manufacturer have better support for them.

Actually, this is a better exacmple.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 06/21/02 11:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 6:36:07 PM

Round 2, FIGHT!

July 8, 2002 9:15:50 PM

Guys,

I'm smart enough to know what I DON'T know. Therefore, I won't even pretend to know which sound card is better for gamers (Audigy vs. Hercules 6.1).

What I do know is MONEY. For an average user like me, who trust posts from guys like you, they sound close in quality (except the scary Audigy conflict problems!). On pricewatch today the OEM prices from Newegg w/shipping are
Hercules - 96$
Audigy - 65$

The real question? Based on the bang/buck ratio, which card ownz? I chose Audigy...and won't know if I made a mistake until I install (on my VIA & ATI machine).

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt