Slave router wont work with password

Skojoe

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I followed instructions on using 2 routers my master is a netgear wndr4000 and slave is a netgear wgt624 v3 i have dead spot in livingroom so i ran cat 5 cable to plug my smart tv in. I have old router so i was wondering if i could also have wifi in living room so i read thread and it works. Only one problem my router in living room is open and when i put a password on it, it wont let me login. How can i put a password on slave router?

I’m not sure what you mean by “master” vs. "slave" router (I’ve heard the terms before, but it’s somewhat imprecise and might mean different things to different ppl). Which instructions did you follow? I just want to be sure I understand the configuration before getting too deep.

On the face of it, it's not obviously why the configuration would affect your ability to login. And speaking of login, are you referring to the login of the router’s administration pages, OR, the prompt for the security key when attempting to connect over wireless?

Skojoe

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I got master slave fro the ultimate modem/ router setup thread. I was talking about security key. But like i said when i have no password on slave router ot works fine but i put a security key on it it wont let me log in.

Skojoe

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
CASCADING A ROUTER (Same subnet)
Have you ever wondered how you could use an old router to extend your networks capablities? Why let such a useful peice of equipment go to waste?

This section will show you how to have a second router connected to your network (LAN to LAN) and utilize the LAN and Wireless functions of the router to extend your networks capabilities.

Second Router (Slave Router)

The process starts on your Second Router first.

Firstly, connect your computers LAN port Directly to any of the LAN ports on your router (2nd Router) via an ethernet cable.

Firstly start by loading up your configuration page of your router.

To do this, look on the bottom of your router, and there should be a default gateway and a Username and Password. Enter the default gateway into your internet browser and use the credentials on the bottom of your router.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there is no information on the bottom of your router, do the following:

1 - Press Windows Key + R at the same time
2 - Type "cmd" without the quotes and click Run
3 - Type "ipconfig" once cmd is open
4 - Note down the IP address under Default Gateway

Type the IP address you noted down in your Internet Browser

It may ask you for a Username and Password

For a Netgear:
Username = admin
Password = password

For a Linksys:
Username = admin
Password = admin

To properly find the correct Username and Password for your router, visit http://portforward.com and find Username and Password that corresponds to your router model
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the configuration page is open, the first step is to set the routers DNS server to the IP address of your first router (Master), in this case my first router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, so set your primary and secondary DNS to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever applies to your setup, may be 192.168.0.1)

The next step is to change the IP address of your Slave router to one increment higher than your first router(Master),
e.g Master Router = 192.168.1.1, so Slave Router = 192.168.1.2

All you really need to do is turn DHCP off, as your master router will assign the IP addresses (hence the "Slave" term)

Once complete, disconnect the Ethernet cable between your Slave router, and connect your PC straight to the Master router (This should be the first time you connected to your master router in this whole process)

First Router (Master) (192.168.1.1)

Access the configuration page, similarly to the way in which done previously.

Change the DHCP range of the router(Master) from 192.168.1.2-254, to 192.169.1.3-254, so the address range is one increment above the Slave routers IP address.

So this means that the Slave router is not in the master routers DHCP address range.

Each router is now a wireless access point, right? And each broadcasts an SSID, a name, by which that wireless access point can be identified from any other. That's the name that appears in your Windows desktop/laptop that you pick, attempt to connect to it, and are prompted for the wireless password. That name is a name YOU provide when the router is configured (or else you're using the default, but most ppl change it).

Well, obviously it should work, because there's nothing about the master/slave relationship that influences or changes the behavior of the router wrt wireless security. I suspect the slave router would have this problem even if it was the ONLY router in the configuration.

All I can guess is that maybe the wireless security protocol you're attempting to use is incompatible w/ your desktop/laptop. For example, the original release of Windows XP only supported WEP, with WPA added in Windows XP SP1, and (iirc) WPA2 added in Windows XP SP2. On the other end of the spectrum, some modern wireless N routers no longer support WEP (it was hacked/broken years ago), just WPA/WPA2. Same compatibility issues could apply to your wireless adapters on the desktop/laptop.

Skojoe

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Yea i have tried change password type.(wep, wpa,etc). You think it can be a problem with nothing being plugged in to internet port? I am running cat 6 from master lan port to slave lan port and nothing is plugged in internet port. If i plug it in to internet port it wont work. You think if i loop it into internet port it will work in other words have the lan from master into 1 port nd then take a cat 5 cable n go from 2 port to internet port?

The purpose of connecting the routers LAN to LAN is to keep them on the same network. For example, let's say the primary/master router is using the 192.168.1.x network. By connecting the second router LAN to LAN, the second router becomes nothing more than a switch. And a switch’s only purpose is to extend the existing network. Any devices connected to that switch are still configured by the primary/master router and its DHCP server. However, in order for it to work, the second/slave router has to have its DHCP server disabled. If you choose to keep the wireless radio of the second/slave router enabled, then wireless devices can participate as well.

In contrast, if you connect the second/slave router to the primary/master router, WAN to LAN respectively, that’s a completely different configuration. Now each router represents a ***DIFFERENT***network, and users behind the second/slave router are not switched to the primary/master router, but ***routed***! That’s why it’s called a router. The WAN defines the boundary between two independent networks, and the router via that WAN makes it possible to move between them in an orderly fashion. But now the users behind the second/slave router must use a different network (e.g., if the primary/master router is using 192.168.1.x, perhaps make the secondary/slave router 192.168.2.x). And the users of the 192.168.2.x network have their own firewall, DHCP server, DNS server(s), etc. In fact, it’s not even called master/slave in this configuration, but simply daisy chaining networks.

So which configuration you use just depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Each works best for different circumstances. In the case of master/slave, it’s the simpler configuration because you end up w/ one logical network (192.168.1.x), one DHCP server, etc. All you’re doing is extending the reach of the primary/master router by leveraging the switch of the second/slave router, and perhaps wireless too if you choose to use radio on the second/slave router.

But again, all this stuff has nothing to do w/ why you can’t get wireless users connected to the second router. As I said previously, irrespective of which configuration you use, LAN to LAN, or WAN to LAN, it shouldn’t impact whether or not wireless is accessible on the second router. Something else is amiss there, but obviously I’m at the mercy of your descriptions, which may be inaccurate.