Need to drop the mobo onboard sound

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
I have the crappy onboard sound card that came with the mobo. My mic won't work with it at all. (no, mic is not muted in sound properties). I'm looking for a good sound card for $75 or less. I listen to CD's/mp3's and play FPS games. Ideas?

AMD Athlon XP 1900+, Asus A7V333, 512mb DDR RAM
PNY Geforce4 Ti4400, Win2k

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.. 59.00 + shipping at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=57&manufactory=1431&DEPA=1" target="_new"> NewEgg</A>

lagger

<font color=blue><b> Common Sense is anything but ... Common !</font color=blue></b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
oooooooooo strength in numbers!

Sound Blaster Audigy if you want your games sounding and performing the best they possibly can (least cpu utilization, EAX Advanced HD, plus firewire port built into the card also), $65 shipped newegg.com
If you play Jedi Knight 2 or Soldier of Fortune 2 you want the audigy. Expect Doom3 to use EAX Advanced.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
To expand upon this, if you're unlucky your audigy won't work. Then you hit creative's lovely tech support which consists of blaming your mobo and of blaming you. So for 6 bucks less you can cut out that whole path! Of course it is your money so if you wanna take the risk Rebe go ahead, just be aware that lots of people have had problems with creative products with via chipsets.

And it's not so much strength in numbers as it is strength in truth.

MStakem

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I back MStakem, creative have a sh*te customer service. I emailed them and told them it wouldnt work, they ended up sending me installation instructions because they thought i had installed it incorrectly (i hadnt, the card was crap). In the end i did get my money back though.

If all else fails, Go further :)

FatBurger

Illustrious
The Audigy has inferior sound quality and 3D positioning, I don't recommend it. I've got one installed in my main box at the moment.

Advanced HD makes a huge difference in GTA3 and sounds great. Sounds terrible in Jedi Knight II, probably just because it was the first game so no big deal. I don't have SoF2.

The Santa Cruz is a great card, I think I've talked to one person out of dozens that has had complaints.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

MStakem

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002
Right, doesn't change the fact that lots of people have problems with it. I was able to install it correctly on a friend's computer. Is a 50:50 success rate really worth a 10 dollar savings? The peace of mind knowing that I will get a card which will work with no fuss for only 10 dollars (I included shipping costs) more is money well spent in my opinion.

MStakem

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I have read that the problems have lessened on the KT333 boards but not completely eliminated.

With the new audigy drivers I have had zero problems so I dont see any reason to not recommend it for via problems.

Ive used the audigy with a SIS735 and others and had no problems, nforce is highly recommended over a sis tho.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.