Audio standards compatibility

Hi All,

I am new on things which are above stereo imaging. This is question on
upward compatibility.

The receiver is 5.1 capable and is not 6.1 standard capable. Which of the
following is meant when a 6.1 channel music CD is played through this
receiver. Assuming the CD player is connected to this receiver via digital
optic/coaxial cable (which means decoding is done by the receiver):

1. The receiver only plays 5.1 channels and leaves out 1 back surround
channel

2. The CD is not played at all

Sorry for not using tech terms here (dts, dolby standards).
--
The best is yet to come
More about audio standards compatibility

    "Vivek Kapoor" <duexbeer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am new on things which are above stereo imaging. This is question on
    > upward compatibility.
    >
    > The receiver is 5.1 capable and is not 6.1 standard capable. Which of the
    > following is meant when a 6.1 channel music CD is played through this
    > receiver. Assuming the CD player is connected to this receiver via digital
    > optic/coaxial cable (which means decoding is done by the receiver):
    >
    > 1. The receiver only plays 5.1 channels and leaves out 1 back surround
    > channel
    >
    > 2. The CD is not played at all
    >
    > Sorry for not using tech terms here (dts, dolby standards).
    > --
    > The best is yet to come

    It will play either five channels or four channels, depending on how the
    disk is recorded. If it is a six channel recording with an intended "back"
    speaker, it will play five. If it is a straight 5.1 mix, it will also play
    five. If it is a six channel recording using extra channels for
    "side-surround", it will probably play only quad. This type of arrangement
    usually doesn't use the center channel but usually follows a "2-2-2"
    arrangement (front-side surround-rear surround). Since you don't have side
    surround, this would be left out. If it is a six channel recording featuring
    a "height" channel in place of the .1 LFE channel, you will just hear five
    channels.

    Hope this helps.

    Yep, that helps. Thanks Harry

    --
    The best is yet to come

    "Harry Lavo" <hlavo@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Vivek Kapoor" <duexbeer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am new on things which are above stereo imaging. This is question on
    > > upward compatibility.
    > >
    > > The receiver is 5.1 capable and is not 6.1 standard capable. Which of
    the
    > > following is meant when a 6.1 channel music CD is played through this
    > > receiver. Assuming the CD player is connected to this receiver via
    digital
    > > optic/coaxial cable (which means decoding is done by the receiver):
    > >
    > > 1. The receiver only plays 5.1 channels and leaves out 1 back surround
    > > channel
    > >
    > > 2. The CD is not played at all
    > >
    > > Sorry for not using tech terms here (dts, dolby standards).
    > > --
    > > The best is yet to come
    >
    > It will play either five channels or four channels, depending on how the
    > disk is recorded. If it is a six channel recording with an intended
    "back"
    > speaker, it will play five. If it is a straight 5.1 mix, it will also
    play
    > five. If it is a six channel recording using extra channels for
    > "side-surround", it will probably play only quad. This type of
    arrangement
    > usually doesn't use the center channel but usually follows a "2-2-2"
    > arrangement (front-side surround-rear surround). Since you don't have side
    > surround, this would be left out. If it is a six channel recording
    featuring
    > a "height" channel in place of the .1 LFE channel, you will just hear five
    > channels.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

Audio Compatibility CD-Rom