Weather Satellites?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
July 8, 2005 9:05:02 PM

Are there Weather Satellites on Ku?

More about : weather satellites

July 8, 2005 11:49:29 PM

"Al Vanik" <avanik@aloha.net> wrote in message
news:42ceb215.9433875@news.west.cox.net...
> Are there Weather Satellites on Ku?

Your United States weather satellites (and other's, I'd imagine,) downlink
in
the 137MHz range, actually. Using some software and the audio from one
of these passes, you can view the snapshots that you'll see later on your
local news satellite imagery :)
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:49:30 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:49:29 GMT, "zach" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Al Vanik" <avanik@aloha.net> wrote in message
>> Are there Weather Satellites on Ku?
>
>Your United States weather satellites (and other's, I'd imagine,) downlink
>in
>the 137MHz range, actually. Using some software and the audio from one
>of these passes, you can view the snapshots that you'll see later on your
>local news satellite imagery :)

That's the ones in low orbit. The ones in geostationary orbit are
around 1600 MHz, I think. A typical Ku dish might be big enough to
get a signal since the information content isn't high as television
(it's more like a fax, until they go digital soon) but I suspect the
LNBF for that band would be pretty awkward to attach to one.
July 11, 2005 4:16:25 AM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, zach wrote:
> "Al Vanik" <avanik@aloha.net> wrote in message
> > Are there Weather Satellites on Ku?
>
> Your United States weather satellites (and other's, I'd imagine,) downlink in
> the 137MHz range, actually. Using some software and the audio from one of
> these passes, you can view the snapshots that you'll see later on your local
> news satellite imagery :)

Also note that it may take 10-15 minutes to get one image (for the 137-138MHz
ones). A while ago, someone made a radio-RS232 converter (and software) to
receive such images. Check the usual amateur radio supply stores.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:39:41 PM

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:05:02 GMT, avanik@aloha.net (Al Vanik) wrote:

>Are there Weather Satellites on Ku?

They are below C band. 1600-1700 MHZ or so.
Typically they use a six foot mesh with an LNA that looks like a
coffee can with a probe in it
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:51:54 PM

avanik@aloha.net (Al Vanik) wrote in news:42ceb215.9433875