Sign in with
Your question

Problems with my xbox setup

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 12, 2012 7:36:35 PM

okay here's the run down. I just moved from a one story house to a 2 story house. the modem and router are located downstairs while my xbox is located in my room upstairs. my laptop and xbox upstairs gets a consistent 3/5 bars. Its not terrible lag but just enough to annoy me. i'm currently running a netgear wireless G router which is a couple years old. (check link). I'm thinking of upgrading to this wireless N router(check link). i have a long Ethernet cable but its clear the house owner doesn't want it running up the stairs so thats not a possibility. Will upgrading from the netgear router to the other router boost the bars from 3 to 5 possibly? Ive also heard of wireless adapters but have no idea how it would work. keep in mind wires across the floor That are NOT in my room is a no go. let me know what you think.

NetGear Router(The one i currently own)

D link Router

More about : problems xbox setup

June 12, 2012 8:01:22 PM

if you pc and Xbox have a N-wireless network card, then you could see a difference
m
l
June 12, 2012 8:08:18 PM

Did it used to lag in the old house? If not did you get better reception before? Wireless-n is faster but if your broadband at the new address is slower than the old house or in use by more than one person then you will have problems anyway. Things you can do are:

Try to move the router closer or place it as high up as possible and away from other electrical equipment.

Move it as far away as possible from Cordless Phones / Stations.

Ensure all filters are fitted to each phone point.
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 9:00:50 PM

jamesmcuk said:
Did it used to lag in the old house? If not did you get better reception before? Wireless-n is faster but if your broadband at the new address is slower than the old house or in use by more than one person then you will have problems anyway. Things you can do are:

Try to move the router closer or place it as high up as possible and away from other electrical equipment.

Move it as far away as possible from Cordless Phones / Stations.

Ensure all filters are fitted to each phone point.

That's the thing. I didn't lag at my old house granted it was only about 7 ft away from the router. Also when I ran speedtest at my new house from the computer that was connected to the router it was even faster than it was.at my old house. Sadly, though the same can't be said for the speed in my upstairs room.
m
l
June 12, 2012 9:11:59 PM

Well it must be the signal strength and error rate or someone else using the bandwidth. Make sure your xbox is as far as possible from all other electrical s.

What may also be worth checking is that other people in the new location are not all using a similar wireless channel as this can severely affect reception.

try http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and make sure you are not using a channel that is being used near you by a neighbour
m
l
June 12, 2012 9:43:47 PM

jamesmcuk said:
Well it must be the signal strength and error rate or someone else using the bandwidth. Make sure your xbox is as far as possible from all other electrical s.

What may also be worth checking is that other people in the new location are not all using a similar wireless channel as this can severely affect reception.

try http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ and make sure you are not using a channel that is being used near you by a neighbour

Will do. So its safe to assume that a change to a wireless n router will have a minimal affect on the strength of the signal to my upstairs room?
m
l
June 12, 2012 9:50:48 PM

No I think it could very much improve the situation. Especially if its a range issue.

You just need to make sure that there is not a fundamental bottleneck here at the new address if the existing router used to work. You also need to ensure that your Xbox wifi Adapter is wireless N compatible otherwise it will use the lower standard anyway and the only signal improvement would be if you bought a more powerful router that covered a larger range anyway.
m
l
!