Want multiple routers and all PC's on same network

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Configuration
  • Internet Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 6, 2012 3:31:12 AM

I have been trying to set this up for 3 days now and I'm beginning to think it isn't even possible. Hopefully one of
you experts can help.

I want the following configuration:

- 1 Master router with no PC's connected (only the slave routers will connect to it)
- 2 Slave routers each connected to master router
Each slave router will have multiple PC's connected via ethernet and/or wireless

I have been able to set this up with all PC's having an internet connection. BUT I need all the PC's to see each other on
a single network. I can see all the PC's on a single slave router but I can't see the PC's on slave 1 from slave 2 or vice versa. I have been using the WAN inputs on both slave routers. All 3 routers are Netgear WRN3500L.

Is this even possible? Before you ask, yes the configuration has to be this way due to separate buildings and pre-existing
wiring. Thank you for your help :) 

More about : multiple routers network

July 7, 2012 2:27:10 AM

markmjt2012 said:
I have been trying to set this up for 3 days now and I'm beginning to think it isn't even possible. Hopefully one of
you experts can help.

I want the following configuration:

- 1 Master router with no PC's connected (only the slave routers will connect to it)
- 2 Slave routers each connected to master router
Each slave router will have multiple PC's connected via ethernet and/or wireless

I have been able to set this up with all PC's having an internet connection. BUT I need all the PC's to see each other on
a single network. I can see all the PC's on a single slave router but I can't see the PC's on slave 1 from slave 2 or vice versa. I have been using the WAN inputs on both slave routers. All 3 routers are Netgear WRN3500L.

Is this even possible? Before you ask, yes the configuration has to be this way due to separate buildings and pre-existing
wiring. Thank you for your help :) 

I just wanted to let everyone know that I found a solution to this problem. Apparently using the 2 slave routers always create their own isolated network when using the WAN port. So, I ended up using the master router in the main building and then I used switches in each of the other buildings where multiple PC's and an access point are connected to the switches. All IP's flow from the master router so everything is on the same subnet and all computers can now see each other. Probably obvious to most of you but maybe this will help another newbie who comes along.
m
l
!