RAID and Other Drives

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I have a question on configuring a RAID Level 0 setup for two identical hard drives with a DVD ROM and DVD RW on a Asus P4B533-E Motherboard. I am confused reading Asus' manual on how to jumper and install these drives. I want to be able to copy CD ROMs from the DVD ROM drive to the DVD-RW drive. My understanding based on reading their manual is this:

HDD #1 connects to the PRI_RAID connector jumpered as Master.
HDD #2 connects to the SEC_RAID connector jumpered as Master
DVD ROM connects to the PRI_IDE connector jumpered as Master
DVD-RW connects to the SEC_IDE connector jumpered as Master

Is this the best setup?
Thanks in advance.

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
That's how you set the Hard drives up I dont think the DVD/DVD RW really matter if they are master/slave on the same chennal but then again I dont know to much hehe.

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB

Go with all on master as you've already suggested. This keeps every device 'happy'. TWO CD devices (one of them a CD/RW) may cause probs. Probably do no worse than reduce transfer speeds on copying drive to drive.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I have to disagree- I did same for raid, and have cd on master and burner on slave, and things got faster w/ the cd drives and burner (and I can do on teh fly as well now).

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Thanks all for the posts. Flamethrower205, what got faster with the CD and burner on one channel? I would think that bandwidth on one cable would be a problem if I were to burn a copy of a CD?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
It seemed that before, when the burner and cd were on one cable (secondary) their just wasn't enough bandwith. Then they each got a cable, and things r running faster.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: