RAID and Other Drives

I have a question on configuring a RAID Level 0 setup for two identical hard drives with a DVD ROM and DVD RW on a Asus P4B533-E Motherboard. I am confused reading Asus' manual on how to jumper and install these drives. I want to be able to copy CD ROMs from the DVD ROM drive to the DVD-RW drive. My understanding based on reading their manual is this:

HDD #1 connects to the PRI_RAID connector jumpered as Master.
HDD #2 connects to the SEC_RAID connector jumpered as Master
DVD ROM connects to the PRI_IDE connector jumpered as Master
DVD-RW connects to the SEC_IDE connector jumpered as Master

Is this the best setup?
Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about raid drives
  1. That's how you set the Hard drives up I dont think the DVD/DVD RW really matter if they are master/slave on the same chennal but then again I dont know to much hehe.

AMD XP 1900+
    A7V-333
    Geforce 3 TI 200
    PC2100 512MB
  2. Go with all on master as you've already suggested. This keeps every device 'happy'. TWO CD devices (one of them a CD/RW) may cause probs. Probably do no worse than reduce transfer speeds on copying drive to drive.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
  3. I have to disagree- I did same for raid, and have cd on master and burner on slave, and things got faster w/ the cd drives and burner (and I can do on teh fly as well now).

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:
  4. You have choosen the best possible solution, just do it!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  5. Thanks all for the posts. Flamethrower205, what got faster with the CD and burner on one channel? I would think that bandwidth on one cable would be a problem if I were to burn a copy of a CD?
  6. What crashman said.....just do it! =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!
  7. It seemed that before, when the burner and cd were on one cable (secondary) their just wasn't enough bandwith. Then they each got a cable, and things r running faster.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID DVD Drives DVD RW Storage