IBM hd's really that bad??

Patola

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
I just purchased an OEM 80gb 7200rpm IBM hard drive and now i'm scard to open it since reading all the bad reviews of the drive on this forum. Should i return it and buy Maxtor instead?? Anyone have anything good to say about IBM hard drives??

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If this assures you at all, my 75GXP (ones with a really bad failure rate) has been running since December 2000. And I'm not light user neither.
It's just the streak of failing drives, most notably the 75GXP and some 60GXPs. I'd go for a Maxtor if I were you.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I also have a 75GXP, it might have one or two bad sectors since I've bought it that just came out of nowhere, but its still running!

Bought it when they first came out.

Who ever made up the phrase, "If it aint broke why fix it" just didn't get it...

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I don't think this is a question anyone can answer for you. You have to ask yourself if you're willing to take the risk, because there IS a higher risk with IBM drives compared to others, if you simply look at the percentage of failures. Maxtor promises a 2% or less failure rate for their hard drives, and their 740x drives currently have a reported .5% failure rate since they've come out. I like maxtor because I think they balance cost and performance the best out of all hard drive manufacturers, but I also have a 13.2GB Western Digital that's lasted me 5 years.

If you return the drive, do it fast. Some web sites require you return it within 7 days. If you want to return it, don't forget to get your RMA number, and don't forget that nearly all online retailers will make you pay a 15% restocking fee, even if it's not opened at all. Add to this having to wait again for a whole new hard drive to ship to you (if you decide to buy a different brand). After all of this if you still think it's worth getting a new hard drive then go ahead with it. Just be careful in the future. Generally when you buy online, you have signed your invoice in blood, and nothing can be reverse without paying enormous expenses.

On the other hand, if you are dealing with a fairly reputable dealer, check to see if they will let you 'swap' hard drives, so that you don't have to pay the restocking fee. Be reasonable and it might work, but still be prepared to pay for shipping both ways.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.