CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
My toshiba laptop HD (10Gb) is starting to die (after nearly 3 years); I'm getting grinding/knocking noises that indicate a head failure (drive is still 100% functional tho).

I've ordered a new one, but I'm paranoid that it will break sooner rather than later. Any tips on extending the life of these stupidly fragile devices?

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Good post. I have had laptop hard drive problems too. Laptops are so fragile because the hard drive is the weakest component, followed by the screen. My brother took a laptop into his car and used it there and afterwards it broke. Then again, it could just be the hard drive manufacturer. Guess what? My broken hard drive was a Toshiba also. Good thing I at least had a warranty though.

Censorship makes us so much more creative.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I notice you said "nearly 3 years". Is it not still under warranty? Anyway, I've got no good suggestions other than don't move the lappy around so much, and if you can, back it up - you can get 2.5" to 3.5" convertors if you need to plug into a desktop for backup. Something like nightly ghosting across a network would be another option.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
It's a toshiba drive in a Gateway laptop; both of which were top of the range 3 years ago. The HD is a complex thing (3 disks/6 heads apparently), but its replacement (10Gb) only has one disk (which might help).

I guess I must have damaged it whilst moving it around whilst switched on. However, if laptops can only be used on a flat surface (i.e. not your fidgeting lap) and have to be switched off every you get up, then they are not truly portable.

Hopefully, the new generation of mobile hd products (mp3 players, consoles etc.) will finally lead to the development of shock-proof hard drives.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I agree with you there. Notebooks should be mobile, otherwise it's just a small footprint desktop...

Shock proofing something as delicate as a HDD is a tricky business, and I'll be interested to see how the iPod and similar devices survive.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
hey, i had the same prob ob a 6 gig dell. the guys there told be to back up important files, and then run defrags and unlead any unnessary start ups in the configurations utiltiy to minimize read and write.

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.