Sign in with
Your question

IBook G3 advice

Last response: in Mac Os X
October 23, 2010 9:08:17 PM

I recently purchased a iBook G3 due my need for something rock bottom while still offering quality. So I am asking what is the best hard drive for this model or SSD? It has the original stock 20gb 4200rpm and it is Slow to the power of π and it runs rather hot for my taste. Also it has 256mb ram :pfff:  well any way I am running 10.4.11 that it came with and already have disabled dashboard as it is just bloat like the widgets in vista. I am planning to upgrade it a few months from now but I will keep your recommendations in mind when I do purchase upgrades.

More about : ibook advice

November 4, 2010 2:30:21 AM

My Advice: Do not upgrade a G3. you would be better off putting $$ towards a newer model. Dunno if a G3 can even take a SSD.
m
l
November 6, 2010 11:22:49 AM

When you installed Mac OS X 10.4.11 did you do a CUSTOM install and leave out everything you didn't reasonably need like additional languages, X11 etc? If you didn't, doing a fresh custom install will mean there's less unused rubbish in the system.

!0.4.11 is as high as you can go on a G3 iBook of this age, so there's no movement on that front.

Some cheap additional RAM would definitely help, you're likely to need PC-100 3,3V 144 pin SO-DIMM modules, although I find the PC-133 units usually default back down to 100 and run OK.

I'm also fairly certain a standard SSD drive wouldn't work reliably in a G3 iBook on 10.4. I've seen "other" interface SSD drives online somewhere, but I'd still stay clear of spending such a large sum on s SSD for a G3. If you need more HD space, buy a bigger IDE 2.5" version; good idea to do this before the fresh install to save migration.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 12, 2010 9:11:22 PM

I would save all your money for the upgrade. Anything you do for the G3 will be a very temporary measure that won't significantly increase the value of the computer or it's performance.
m
l
November 13, 2010 2:17:32 AM

I kinda disagree with Bloody...

Ive got the latest MBP, and just upgraded to a 120Gb SSD.
WOW! What a difference!
When i inevitably upgrade to the next model i will simply swap HDD's, and sell the old with the original drive. And because Mac h/ware is very compatible, there is a good chance i won't need a reinstall, simply putting the old SSD in, everything should work fine. I've done it before with no dramas.

A good SSD is expensive, but CAN be swapped to a new machine. It will reduce heat, noise and increase battery life.

256Mb of ram is not enough. OSX is great running on low ram, but 10.6 for example needs at least 2Gb.

Add these 2 upgrades and suddenly your cheap G3 aint so cheap :( 
m
l
November 13, 2010 5:51:10 AM

mrmez said:
I kinda disagree with Bloody...

Ive got the latest MBP, and just upgraded to a 120Gb SSD.
WOW! What a difference!
When i inevitably upgrade to the next model i will simply swap HDD's, and sell the old with the original drive. And because Mac h/ware is very compatible, there is a good chance i won't need a reinstall, simply putting the old SSD in, everything should work fine. I've done it before with no dramas.

A good SSD is expensive, but CAN be swapped to a new machine. It will reduce heat, noise and increase battery life.

256Mb of ram is not enough. OSX is great running on low ram, but 10.6 for example needs at least 2Gb.

Add these 2 upgrades and suddenly your cheap G3 aint so cheap :( 

Did G3 MacBooks have SATA interfaces of ATA? Are there and ATA SSDs?

You certainly wouldn't be able to swap a drive from a G3 into a modern MacBook and have it work. You'd need to install a new OS. Intel CPUs aren't too happy trying to run PowerPC code.

And I wouldn't advise trying to run 10.6 on a PowerPC....
m
l
November 13, 2010 4:36:52 PM

I used to repair these iBooks all the time, the additional ram (so-dimms) does make a big difference and the largest hdd install can only be 137Gb and it only will take IDE/PATA hard disks, you can get PATA SSD's but I don't think its worth while installing a SSD because of the cost, add more storage via traditional HD but SSD is not economically viable, plus if you want internal wireless and don't want to spend money on a apple airport PCMCIA you can install the orinoco pcmcia cards (gold/silver) with a bit of a strip down to make it fit under the keyboard.
m
l
November 13, 2010 4:43:08 PM

also anything above tiger 10.4.xx will not install on a g3 iBook, for example leopard 10.5.xx will only install on a g4, g5, intel and require the processor speed to be above 1GHz, and snow leopard 10.6.xx will only install on intel macs.
m
l
!