CPU-Z and HWMonitor (+ others) freezes Win8 CP

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Folks,
Be aware that me and the folks over at Win8 forum have found that CPU-Z from the CPUID site (latest version) will freeze most people's computers when it tries to run. That goes for HWMonitor, AIDA64 (the new Everest) and someone said 3DMark 2011. Several different CPU and mobo combos so not just one flavor. I have notified the CPUID folks but as of yet, no reply. In the meantime, just say no.
PS core temp works OK as does Prime-95 so a good way of testing...

johm before people run these diags are the telling windows 8 to run them as admins??

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Uhh, of course. We have tried it both with administrative rights (y'know, right click and run as Admin) and as a user. No difference. I have found that OpenHardwareMonitor works well as a substitute until the problem is fixed.

sajid89

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Be aware that me and the folks over at Win8 forum have found that CPU-Z from the CPUID site (latest version) will freeze most people's computers when it tries to run. That goes for HWMonitor, AIDA64 (the new Everest) and someone said 3DMark 2011. Several different CPU and mobo combos so not just one flavor. I have notified the CPUID folks but as of yet, no reply. In the meantime, just say no.