leoharper

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hello,

I am new to the world of networking and I'm interested on it. Is it possible to setup two computers as client/server even without internet? If so, can you please lead me through it?

Thanks.

-joe

Yes. All it takes is two computers connected by an ethernet cable. Whichever of the two is providing a service to the other is deemed the server. Whichever of the two is using the service provided by the other is deemed the client. It's as simple as that.

Of course you can expand that into one client accessing MANY servers, or MANY clients accessing MANY servers w/ the help of a local, switched network. And if those servers existed on the Internet, then you’d need a router in order to navigate outside the confines of your local, switched network to access them.

leoharper

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have a switch, first computer has win 2003 and the other one has win xp. Fortunately, I know how to do the physical connection, and I just need to know how can I configure the two PCs as client/server network. Procedures given into several forums for building a client/server network involved an internet connection which has an IP addresses involved. Mine will be just simple two computers built as client server network, no internet connection (if this can be possible). I just want to know the steps how can I configure it.

Thanks again.

-joe

leoharper

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have a switch, first computer has win 2003 and the other one has win xp. Fortunately, I know how to do the physical connection, and I just need to know how can I configure the two PCs as client/server network. Procedures given into several forums for building a client/server network involved an internet connection which has an IP addresses involved. Mine will be just simple two computers built as client server network, no internet connection (if this can be possible). I just want to know the steps how can I configure it.

Thanks again.

-joe

leoharper

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again.

-joe

leoharper

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again.

-joe