Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 and Applications Randomly Hanging For Several Seconds

Last response: in Windows 7
April 16, 2012 3:53:04 AM

I just did a fresh format and install of Windows 7 because of some issues I was having previously.

I formatted the drive, installed Windows and updated all my drivers and programs today.

Randomly now, the computer will 'hang' and be unresponsive for 3-15 seconds at a time. It seems multiple things cause the problem, sometimes it's loading a webpage, or opening a program, or navigating between folders in Explorer.

Prior to my format and reinstall I never had this type of issue before, and all the hardware aside from the DVD drive is the same, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of a Driver conflict, but I really don't know to tell.
April 16, 2012 4:29:34 AM

I had it happen; and the only thing I could do to fix it was a full reformatting.
m
l
April 16, 2012 4:36:32 AM

Hmmm. I JUST formatted this morning though. So I wouldn't think that would help would it?
m
l
Related resources
April 16, 2012 3:21:25 PM

I really don't know what was wrong with mine, I think it had something to do with explorer crashing on me all the time and freezing up.

The only way I fixed it was reinstalling windows on a freshly formatted HDD
m
l
April 16, 2012 3:22:53 PM

Check for disk activity when you notice the random hanging.
m
l
April 17, 2012 10:29:36 PM

I tried, but while it hangs it won't load any utility to let me check, and the hanging is usually not long enough to do it.

In the end I got frustrated and reformatted to try again. All was working perfectly for a day or so until today, after installing a batch of around 50 KB series Windows 7 Updates, at which point it came back. I just did a system restore, and thus far (30 minutes in) all is going well... though it's a bit soon to know for sure.

Googling a few of the updates, kb977074 looks suspicious.

I have disable any automatic updates and will be installing updates 3-5 at a time until I can isolate which one(s) are causing this awful hanging problem
m
l
!