Windows 7 Computer Freezing Issues

iMario

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hello,
Ive been searching for a problem thats bothered me for quiet a while and i just cant seem to fix it, My problem is that when im using my computer it will randomly freeze whether im watching youtube videos, browsing the net or just playing games (Starcraft 2, League of Legends) ive reinstalled windows 7, ive tried updating my drivers but it just wont go away, so when it freezes it just stays at the screen it froze at and the sound is like looping and it does not go to a bluescreen or reboot i have to hold the power down.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate
6GB DDR3 Memory
AMD Athlon II X4 610e quad-core processor
1TB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 6570 1024MB

Any recent hardware changes?
This sounds like its been an ongoing issue, has it been occuring since you bought/built the machine?
Any overclocking?
How about temps, are they satisfactory?
Could you give a little more history and also list the power supply manufacturer?

+1, thats a very easy, quick test. 6GB is a strange combination for an AMD rig, I was wondering if you may have inadvertently gotten a triple channel kit...

Redmar89

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I had the same problem for me it was a wireless network adapter that caused the problem, bought a new one. Everything works fine now. What I would suggest to fix the problem.

1. Start your pc with only main hdd, cpu, motherboard, powersupply, ram and powersupply.
2. Get internet trough cable via motherboard.
3. Everything should work fine now if it's not not you should test every component seperatly.
4. I recommend to update all drivers before doing the previous steps.
5. After I would rebuild the system applying additional hdd's and wireless adapters and see if the problem eventually gets back.

Just insert everything step by step and you will know what's causing the problem. I know its taking some time but thats the easiest way to solve it.

iMario

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

Yes its been happening for quite a long time, it started off when i was playing a game it happened for the first time maybe 3-4 weeks after i got the pc and ever since then its been occuring frequently. The temps are fine ive checked them, No overclocking at all, and how would i be able to see the power supply manufacturer? im not able to open the machine for the warranty will be voided.

Well, Memtest is a program that runs at boot, so would in no way affect your warranty. Just need to download the software and ceate a boot disk Then get into setup and change the boot order so that your DVD R/W is 1st. Run Memtest for as long as you can, some like to do it overnight to make sure!

iMario

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

Funnily enough i already tried this, but it was an accident i disabled my wireless adapter through device manager and used a Ethernet cable because it would have faster connection. The reason i disabled it is because the wireless adapter had priority over the wired connection.

iMario

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

Im aware that memtest does not void warranty but, i cant test an individual ram disk at a time without voiding warranty.

True, but at least that test will isolate the problem to RAM as opposed to another component! If it fails that is...and if so you can report the problem to your vendor and get help. The plan being to isolate the fault to hardware as opposed to a software problem, as hardware should be covered by the warranty.

iMario

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

Ok i will run the test tonight and in the morning i will get back to you. Thanks For your help.

chavez1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes
No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers especially the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI ontrollers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.