Game AI Poll: The 2005 GDC AI Roundtable Format

Archived from groups: comp.ai.games,rec.games.programmer (More info?)

Hello All:

At the 2004 GDC AI roundtables we had a number of participants who
approached, Neil, Eric, or myself regarding the possibility of changing the
format of the AI roundtables. We've been doing three one-hour sessions in
parallel for each of the three days of the GDC proper for the past several
years, with the last day being a combined "AI for Beginners" roundtable in
which we could do Q&A.

This format has worked fairly well, but this year we had several folks
ask us if we could change the format to accomodate more participants, more
time, or both.

With recent events it might be a good time to consider revamping the
roundtable formats, and so I've put up a poll over on the GameAI.Com webpage
asking what format would you like the 2005 GDC AI roundtables to take? The
poll is accessible either from the front page of www.gameai.com, or you can
go directly to it at www.gameai.com/roundtables_poll.html. I've put the most
asked about options on the poll, but there's a place for alternative
suggestions if none of those are quite what you're thinking.

We'd love to see what you're thinking about this since we need to submit
proposals for next year's GDC here in a month or so. I have no idea what GDC
will accept so there are no promises here, but it would be good to at least
know what your thoughts are about it. This is your chance to let us know how
to make the roundtables better.

Thanks much!

===============================
Steven Woodcock
From the High, Snowy Mountains of Colorado
1 answer Last reply
More about game poll 2005 roundtable format
  1. Archived from groups: comp.ai.games,rec.games.programmer (More info?)

    Interesting...so far people really seem to be leaning towards the full
    day "mega session" concept....a full day of AI discussions in which we break
    up into smaller groups throughout the day to focus on specific areas.

    I'm not sure about this though...how many folks who do game AI are
    actually *present* for the tutorial days? I had the impression that many
    folks don't show up until the GDC proper....

    Very interesting nonetheless...

    Steve

    "Steven Woodcock" <wyrdhaven@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Hello All:
    >

    > At the 2004 GDC AI roundtables we had a number of participants who
    > approached, Neil, Eric, or myself regarding the possibility of changing
    the
    > format of the AI roundtables. We've been doing three one-hour sessions in
    > parallel for each of the three days of the GDC proper for the past several
    > years, with the last day being a combined "AI for Beginners" roundtable in
    > which we could do Q&A.
    >
    > This format has worked fairly well, but this year we had several folks
    > ask us if we could change the format to accomodate more participants, more
    > time, or both.
    >
    > With recent events it might be a good time to consider revamping the
    > roundtable formats, and so I've put up a poll over on the GameAI.Com
    webpage
    > asking what format would you like the 2005 GDC AI roundtables to take? The
    > poll is accessible either from the front page of www.gameai.com, or you
    can
    > go directly to it at www.gameai.com/roundtables_poll.html. I've put the
    most
    > asked about options on the poll, but there's a place for alternative
    > suggestions if none of those are quite what you're thinking.
    >
    > We'd love to see what you're thinking about this since we need to
    submit
    > proposals for next year's GDC here in a month or so. I have no idea what
    GDC
    > will accept so there are no promises here, but it would be good to at
    least
    > know what your thoughts are about it. This is your chance to let us know
    how
    > to make the roundtables better.
    >
    > Thanks much!

    > Steven Woodcock