Sign in with
Your question

Onboard Sound, Use it or not?

Last response: in Components
June 19, 2002 3:27:45 PM

I have a mobo with AC-97 onboard sound, i also have a sb16 PCI card vacant but i would rather not put this in. Is the ac97 onboard likely to be good enough for me to listen to mp3 and also play games like counterstrike. I dont care about 5.1 surround as i plan on using only 2 speakers (im using a decent amplifier and good speakers), and i also dont care about eax, a3d etc as a sb16 dosent have these anyway. Do you think the onboard would be good enough for my needs? ps I have pIII 750mhz

Need ADVICE????

If all else fails, Go further :) 

More about : onboard sound

June 19, 2002 4:32:00 PM

If you do not care about the eax, a3d etc and only use 2.1 setup. I think Onboard sound will be fine.
June 19, 2002 4:39:36 PM

thx, im just about to try and see if the quality is better or worse for each card, ill post the results on here later

Related resources
June 20, 2002 3:22:11 PM

Ok it turned out the sb16 was way better than the onboard, im going to check prices and might decide to get a 5.1 or something, cos the sb16 doesnt have a proccessor (e.g emu chip)and therefore has really high cpu utilisation. any reccomendations (no more than about £70)??

June 20, 2002 10:02:25 PM

How about onboard Realtek ALC201A AC'97 controller vs Sound Blaster Live! Value?

I'm not good at this stuff so wondering which would be better.
June 21, 2002 10:09:20 AM

Turtle Beach Santa Cruiz had been around a LONG time and has a BIG following of loyal fans.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
June 22, 2002 1:04:33 AM

a stupid question...
so the onboard sound would take cpu usuage alot? and if i have a pci sound card, it'll help my cpu run smoother?
June 22, 2002 1:18:32 AM

Well, what can you say?
If you are satisfied with the quality of the sound then be appy with the AC97, else...................

<font color=blue>P.S. I´m drunk.</font color=blue> :smile:
June 24, 2002 8:23:36 PM

i use the sound blaster audigy, it has the lowest cpu utilization of any soundcard for games. Its the only one to accelerate EAX3 in hardware in games such as GTA3/JK2/SOF2. I'm the type that can't be without the latest and greatest (esp in sound).
I've been playing GTA3 regularly and it sounds great.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.
June 24, 2002 9:46:36 PM

EAX 3 sounds great in GTA3, I agree. JKII is another story...

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 24, 2002 9:59:24 PM

Game manufacturer will be utilizing the technology better with their up coming games. A sound card usually last a long time.
June 24, 2002 10:21:32 PM

I agree, I think JKII sounds bad just because it was the first game and was rushed (also remember that there was no menu option for EAX3 until the first patch).

However, I also think GTA3 lends itself to the technology more than JKII does. I could be wrong, but it seems like the type of game where EAX3 really shines.

I still prefer my GTXP, but it'll be nice when there are other cards with EAX3 to choose from.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
!