Best wire for FM reception (car antenna)

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 8, 2005 11:51:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi there

What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade car antenna
to pick up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium? What thickness or
size. Lenght?

Thanks!
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:51:12 PM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:51:11 -0400, "Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade car antenna
>to pick up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium? What thickness or
>size. Lenght?

Hi Frank,

Try welding rod.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:37:55 AM

"Frank" wrote:
> What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade
> car antenna to pick up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium?

Traditional is steel (i.e. coat-hanger wire :-)

In reality, it makes no difference except mechanically.

> What thickness or size.

It is a mechanical issue. What makes it self-supporting?
Electrically it is of no significance.

> Lenght?

Well, the middle of the FM broadcast band is ~98MHz
and 1/4 wavelength is ~28.5 inches.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagenericfreqlencalc.htm...
September 9, 2005 4:09:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Or "Brazeing Rod" might be more acceptable, as most welding rod have
seen is coated with flux -- Jim NN7K

Richard Clark wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:51:11 -0400, "Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>>What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade car antenna
>>to pick up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium? What thickness or
>>size. Lenght?
>

> Hi Frank,
>
> Try welding rod.
>
> 73's
> Richard Clark, KB7QHC
September 9, 2005 7:24:47 AM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "Frank" wrote:
>
>> What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade
>> car antenna to pick up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium?
>

> Traditional is steel (i.e. coat-hanger wire :-)
>
> In reality, it makes no difference except mechanically.
>
>> What thickness or size.
>

> It is a mechanical issue. What makes it self-supporting?
> Electrically it is of no significance.
>
>> Lenght?
>

> Well, the middle of the FM broadcast band is ~98MHz
> and 1/4 wavelength is ~28.5 inches.
> http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagenericfreqlencalc.htm...

The average car antenna is 31" in length.

Ed
September 9, 2005 4:15:12 PM

"Jim - NN7K" <nn7kexk7zfg@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Or "Brazeing Rod" might be more acceptable, as most welding rod have seen
> is coated with flux -- Jim NN7K
>

> Richard Clark wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:51:11 -0400, "Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade car antenna to pick
>>>up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium? What thickness or size. Lenght?
>>

>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> Try welding rod.
>>
>> 73's
>> Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Arc welding rods are usually coated. Gas welding rods are not, and could be
brass, steel etc.
September 9, 2005 9:45:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

This site has some interesting antennas and info:

http://www.ccrane.com/
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 3:02:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:51:11 -0400, "Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade car antenna
>to pick up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium? What thickness or
>size. Lenght?

Copper will turn a pretty green colour and isn't particularly strong.
A steel coat hanger is traditional and works perfectly well.
Electrically, anything conductive will do. Your only considerations
are mechanical and appearance.

About 30 inches is an optimum length. Half that will do.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:06:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.audio.car,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Here is the link for a site offering replacement antennae for about $10. For
the price, you may just decide this will make your job a lot simpler.

http://www.weisd.com/store2/12301.html

Wayne-
(KC8UIO)

"Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> What is the best type of "wire" for making a homemade car antenna to pick
> up FM radio. Is it copper? Aluminium? What thickness or size. Lenght?
>
> Thanks!

August 23, 2008 9:20:59 AM

CB Antennae, Antenna Mounts, GPS/GSM/AM/FM Multifunctional Antennae, GPS/GSM Antennae, TV/T-DMB Antennae, AM/FM Antennae, Dummy Antennae, Antenna Accessory, Connector, CB Radios, Antenna Manufacturer
Challenger communication equipment Co., Ltd. We specialize in the design and manufacture of Antennae, Antenna Mounts, accessories etc.
Http://www.acmeantenna.com
CB Radio
CB antenna
antenna mount
multifunctional antenna
GPS antenna
TV antenna
FM/AM antenna
Dummy antenna
antenna accessory
antenna connector
March 16, 2011 2:20:32 AM

Does anyone know of either a trunk-lip mount or even a mag mount base that I can attach a BNC antenna to...

In other words, Can I attach my 800mhz RS Rubber Ducky to some sort of external mount so I can get the car antenna on the outside of my car without having to get a whole new antenna...

Just curious.. thanks
!