Can I use netgear WGR 614 as range extender of another wireless router

MoreYummy

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hi,

Can I use netgear WGR 614 as range extender of another wireless router?

I already using a model with wireless router, i have a spare netgear WGR 614. I want this router to pick up wireless signal from the first wireless router then share the internet on ethernet port only.

Anyone has idea if this is possible. Have done some serach, cant find much info on this.

If you’re using the SAME model routers for both the primary and range extender, then sometimes it will support bridging over something called WDS (Wireless Distribution System). It will likely be an option under the wireless section of the router, although probably called something other than WDS, like “Bridge to AP” or some such.

If you’re using DIFFERENT routers, then it's only going to work if you can reconfigure the WGR614 as a wireless client, and to my knowledge, that's not possible w/ the stock firmware. But certain versions of the WGR614 are compatible w/ dd-wrt (third party firmware), in which case, you'd install dd-wrt and configure it as a "client bridge". If you also wanted to support wireless clients at the bridge, you’d configure it as a "repeater bridge". But the first step is determining compatibility @ the dd-wrt database.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Technically true, although the database isn't always up to date. Sometimes it's worth searching the dd-wrt forums. You'll probably find others who need the same thing.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Seems at least some ppl have had success cross flashing the WGR614 v10 to a WNR1000v3, then installing dd-wrt. Not for the faint of heart, but it shows the lengths some ppl will go to to get dd-wrt support. As you can imagine, a bit risky. And even if it works, there may be limitations (I didn’t read the whole thread, just skimmed it). But if you don't mind the potential bricking of the router, maybe worth considering. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

MoreYummy

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Ok, I will take a look. Im new at this site, not sure where to start.
I will come back if need help, but like you said, i can ask them over there.
anyway, thx and brb. :D