How to use new hd with RAID setup?

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
my new western digital 120 gb drive just arrived and i would like to use it in conjunction with my raid 0 setup. Currently i have the wd drive hooked up as my primary master, and my two ibm 60 gigs hooked up to the promise card. My computer boots and in windows it shows the wd hard drive as functioning properly but there is no drive letter. How would i go about formatting and using that drive?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
do you have a RAID array with the 2 60s? Anyway, you can't easily (if at all) add a 120 (3rd drive) to an array consisting of 2 60's Best bet is to just use it straight. Create a partition and format it using the administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management. (if XP or 2K)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
ok, the drive is formatting now. I left it as a basic disc b/c i wasn't sure what dynamic was, let me know if i should change it. Also for allocation i left it under default, i'm not sure what that was either. I'm thinking of installing the IDE miniport driver v3.0.14
to see if it helps the performance of the drive on my parents' computer, because as of now i'm only getting 27 mb/sec read, do you think that driver will help?

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
If you install the 120 Gig into the RAID 0 array, you will reduce the available capacity of the new disk to the smaller disk in the array (60 GB). Consequently the array management software will report to you 3 HDD x 60 GB with a total capacity of 180 GB.
But you can create a "software RAID 0 array" by using the WIndows 2000/XP capabilities. To realize a software RAID you must change the volume property from basic to dynamic (control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management) Windows will create the RAID array by using the Volume RAID 0 array made by two HDD and a 60 GB partition of your WD 120GB leaving 60 GB free for other purposes. Unfortunately such array will not be bootable and you need one more hdd to install the OS. The question is what do you have to do with a fast array made of 180 GB that is not bootable.
27 MB/s is quite low, what mobo+CPU do you have ? If it is based on KT333 you have some chances to increase such value.

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
ok, my intention was never to add the drive to my existing raid configuration, i just want it there as a single 120 gb partition to store files on as i reformat very frequently and it's a pain to backup my files on other peoples computers.....i was just wondering if i should make it dynamic if i just want it as one partition. I set it to primary partition, default allocation, basic drive, is this correct or should i reformat it with something else before putting stuff onto it? oh and i did not click allow compression

Now as for the performance of the same disk on my parents computer, i've been fooling around with atto disk bench and sandra for a while and it seems like the drive might perform slightly better without the via 4in1 drivers, but i'm not sure....atto, shows a max read of around 67 mb/sec and a max write of about 48 mb/sec, but then again, it's not very consistent towards the end as read speads drop drastically. I'm not sure what to trust, not sure wheather to keep or uninstall via 4in1 either. I have an epox 8k3a+ mainboard with athlon 2100+ Also my drive is reported as scsi which is sort of annoying, not sure how to fix that either......so how the hell do i get this drive to work as it should?? keep 4in1 remove? fix the scsi bullsh1t?

one other thing, windows update wants me to install an amd k7 driver, what the hell is that and should i install it?

as for the 4in1, i forgot to mention that my 3dmark score seems to be higher without their agp driver....yet somehow i uninstalled that driver by accident without ever installing it and it reset my entire display settings, very odd, wonder what it did, there was definitely nothing there to uninstall unless it was the win xp agp driver.