williamc and fatburger

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Computer
  • Creative
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 21, 2002 1:43:55 AM

Since I've had a computer, I've run nothing but Creative cards from 16Bit, PCI128, PCI512, SBLIVE, and my last being SBAudigy Gamer, I originally had pumped Fatburger for information he was very helpful but williamc was a well flowing with information, now I wasn't interested in the breakout box, so I took a chance and tried out the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, you guys were right!!! I can't believe the difference the TBSC is one rocking card, with Audio playback, and Gaming. Thank You for your time and honesty. David

More about : williamc fatburger

June 21, 2002 2:36:14 AM

Hallelujah! Another convert! There was a time, not long ago, that you could buy a Creative soundcard and be reasonably assured that you were getting the best around. Those days are gone, my friend. You have seen the light! Hallelujah!

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
June 21, 2002 10:07:29 AM

That thing about Creative having the best sound was never true. Back in the day it was Media Vision with the best sound. Then when the Aureal Vortex2 came out it was so much better than the SB Live, that Creative filed a bunch of frivolous lawsuites against Aureal for making a better card (they must have stolen technology, etc). Of course they lost the lawsuit, but the legal fees to Aureal were something like 2 million dollards US, which bankrupted the company. Then Guillimot wanted the to buy the technology out of bankruptcy liquidation (so they could use it for their own line of cards), Creative said "whatever they offer, we bid $100,000 more". Creative paid $35 million for the technology, then killed it. It probably cost Creative over $40 million total to kill the Vortex 2, simply because Creative couldn't compete in the area of technology.
Now these court proceeding happened during the developement of the Win2k drivers. So Win2k drivers were never finished. The only company with the legal right to develope them was Microsoft. Microsoft reworked them in the least expensive way possible to make them work with XP. Independant developers who tried publishing updated drivers soon found themselves on Creative short list of people to threaten with legal action. Websites that carried such software were imediately closed as soon as Creative could locate them.

So did Creative ever have the BEST soundcard? Maybe in the 8 bit days, like 1992.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
Related resources
June 21, 2002 2:20:14 PM

So much singing and dancing in the streets these days=) I'm glad you like the card so much. In the end i don't care what cards people use long as they like what they have. My goal is to get everyone to keep an open mind about the stuff and try it for themselves=) Which is what FatBurger and AMD_Man got me to do a while ago now; I'm glad they did.

Btw, Never Winter Nights is sounding awsome on the GTXP, it supports EAX 2.0 and A3D fully.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
June 21, 2002 3:02:47 PM

Most other hardware forums I have seen are pretty much exclusive to the audigy. This is one of the few to suggest an alternative.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!
June 21, 2002 3:18:08 PM

Willc I hate you! I haven't a chance yet to install NWN on my system (hopefully I will this weekend) an I am in the process of configuring both my sound cards(Audigy Ex and GXTP) and new Ti4200(which actually isn't that tough but I have a lot of work to bring home lately).

The P4b W/RDRAM is the master of all meatrunners.

HULK SMASH!!!
June 21, 2002 4:16:04 PM

What's the general gameplay of NWN like? Is it more like D&D or a traditional RPG?

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
June 21, 2002 4:21:09 PM

www.3dsoundsurge.com

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
June 21, 2002 4:28:25 PM

Multiplayer or Single Player? Single player is like enhanced BG2 with a max party size of 2.

Multiplayer is a great gift to RPG'ers the world over. Its like being immersed in a pen and paper game. DM'ing is easy to get the hang of too.

Gameplay = very very good in multiplayer and pretty darn good in single player.

The world builder is unlike anything ever built, its sooooooooooooo easy to get into and use yet remains utterly powerful and with the ability to use models etc you build in 3dsmax.

Buy it, play it, love it, Game of the Year. Nuff Said.

June 21, 2002 6:00:58 PM

So it's based on D&D as in everything depends on a roll of the dice? Less like Final Fantasy? I'm mostly interested in how the combat works, that's generally the biggest difference between RPGs.

June 21, 2002 6:37:28 PM

Yeah, its based on dice rolls. In fact, it shows you all the dice rolls.

That is a nice <b><font color=green>Garbage Can</font color=green></b> you have there!
June 21, 2002 6:38:01 PM

Combat is D&D 3E, period. Very well done though. Very. Its not boring either, what with the special moves and spells etc.... The doge, parry, strike animations are all there, its really rather awsome. When they parry you actually see your character block the strike etc...he actually physically dodges a blow etc....very very nice.

edit: like BG2 in 3d with real good animations and 3E and hotkeys so you don't have to clunk through an interface to fight. You have 3 quick key bars, work real well. REAL well.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 06/21/02 02:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 21, 2002 6:38:07 PM

Quote:
So did Creative ever have the BEST soundcard? Maybe in the 8 bit days, like 1992.

Has it been that long? Jeez. I remember my friend was peeing his pants with glee when he got his Soundblaster for his 386. The AWE 64 Gold was a nice post-8 bit days card. I think even THG rated it as the best card at the time. Even better than the MX200 if memory serves.

Quote:
Then when the Aureal Vortex2 came out it was so much better than the SB Live, that Creative filed a bunch of frivolous lawsuites against Aureal for making a better card (they must have stolen technology, etc). Of course they lost the lawsuit, but the legal fees to Aureal were something like 2 million dollards US, which bankrupted the company.

Creative's business practices will get them in hot water someday just like Rambus. Thanks for the info. Now I hate Creative even more.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
June 21, 2002 6:39:50 PM

Heh, stuff like this happens every day in the US, man. MS does it on a regular basis and is praised for it.

June 21, 2002 6:57:13 PM

Guess I'll stick to Morrowind and GTA3, then.

June 21, 2002 7:46:02 PM

okay=) My taste falls elsewhere, shelving Morrowing and GTA 3 for NWN. NWN is my personal GotY for now=)

June 21, 2002 9:05:07 PM

I just don't like D&D combat, I prefer something that's less luck. I'm sure I'll try NWN sometime, though.

June 21, 2002 9:22:44 PM

I liked my AWE64 Gold, but can't say it produced better sound than my Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
June 22, 2002 12:13:03 AM

I personally think its way better than baldurs gate.....i didn't care for them that much.

June 22, 2002 1:15:51 AM

Quote:
I just don't like D&D combat, I prefer something that's less luck

Huh?, what do you mean?
Everything is based on numbers if you break it down.
I think AD&D is THE rules to use if you want to play RPG´s.
It´s well balanced and it has been used for some time now...(meaing it has had the time to make minor corrections when a fault has been detected etc)

<font color=blue>P.S. I´m drunk.</font color=blue> :smile:
June 24, 2002 7:00:33 PM

So you think that rolling a die to see if you succeded doesn't count as luck?

June 24, 2002 8:49:32 PM

Law of Averages, D&D isnt luck at all... Especially 3E! There's way too many things it relys on you to do. Its all about strategy and teamwork. Just what a good rpg always is=) BTW, morrowind uses numbers...and obviously...rolls...behind the scenes. Morrowind actually has less player skill involved in fighting than NWN by quite a bit. I've played both and i'm positive on that. Even if your a fighter you still have all the different feats and special attacks etc that you activate in combat.

The Point of this post....there's more than enough to do in NWN especially in combat, though it might seem that way for the first few levels but they go by fast. NWN is far from based on luck if you ask me.

But hell this post got WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic so in a minor attempt to bring it back into something resembling sound. I will point this out:

NWN sound effects and music puts Morrowind to shame=)

If you wanna reply do so in the games forum, i'll read it, i hang out there too-)

!