A/V Switching (Multiple DVD Players)

Last response: in Home Audio
September 14, 2005 6:24:09 PM

My apologies if this question is considered off-topic for this group....

My AV Receiver has inputs for only one "set" of 5.1 (actually 7.1 but I only
have speaker placement for 5) speakers. I would like to hook up multiple
DVD players to the receiver. I would be using component connections for the
video.

I have found some AV selectors that will permit multiple component
connections but so far none that provide for multiple 5.1 inputs.

What type of device should I be looking for that would permit me to hook up
two DVD players (5.1 audio and component video) to my receiver. I would
prefer to not replace the receiver at this point.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:24:10 PM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:24:09 GMT, not_here@myhouse.com wrote:

>My apologies if this question is considered off-topic for this group....
>
>My AV Receiver has inputs for only one "set" of 5.1 (actually 7.1 but I only
>have speaker placement for 5) speakers. I would like to hook up multiple
>DVD players to the receiver. I would be using component connections for the
>video.
>
>I have found some AV selectors that will permit multiple component
>connections but so far none that provide for multiple 5.1 inputs.
>
>What type of device should I be looking for that would permit me to hook up
>two DVD players (5.1 audio and component video) to my receiver. I would
>prefer to not replace the receiver at this point.

It appears from your post you are referring to a line level analog 7.1
input. The multi channel analog input is needed for DVD audio and
SCAD players. Yes, most receivers only have one. The first option is
to hook up one player with the analog and another with the digital
audio input. The digital would allow you to play all discs except the
5.1 tracks on DVD audio and SACD discs.

If your receiver has no digital audio input, or you want to switch
between 2 players that require the analog inputs, then the second
option is to find a 5.1 analog switch box or make one from 2 or more
other standard audio or A/V switch boxes. Two standard A/V composite
video/analog stereo audio switch boxes would work. Unfortunately, I
couldn't find a 5.1 switch box with some quick google searches. Maybe
you or another poster can.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:27:27 PM

Thank you for the help !
!