Switching to Powerline...

yongla

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I know there are a lot of threads out there on powerline, but my question is a bit more specific...

Some of my current internet setup info:

ISP and Internet plan: Shaw (7.5Mbps Internet plan according to website)
Windows Wireless Network Connection Status: It says my connection speed is 216 - 270 Mbps (varies)

I'm currently on a Linksys Router and a D-Link Network Adapter...

*Quick side-note* How is it even possible that my plan is 7.5Mbps (Shaw Speedtest tells me I have 14Mbps avg o.o) and my connection speed is 200+ Mbps? (I am not mixing up MBps and Mbps)

Anyways, my real question is, Would purchasing a 200 Mbps powerline kit actually SLOW down my DL speeds and increase latency? Would purchasing a 500 Mbps powerline kit even be worth the money even when Shaw Speedtest says I have an avg of 14Mbps?

I really appreciate your help guys, my knowledge of networking sucks >.>

Solution
Windows has a 200+ mbps connection to your router on your LAN, (I'm guessing you're running 300 or 450 n) but when you download you're still capped by that 14 mbps currently being set by your ISP. So no, a 500 mbps powerline adapter may get you better transfer speeds over your local network, but it won't get you better download speeds.

g0rd0

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Windows has a 200+ mbps connection to your router on your LAN, (I'm guessing you're running 300 or 450 n) but when you download you're still capped by that 14 mbps currently being set by your ISP. So no, a 500 mbps powerline adapter may get you better transfer speeds over your local network, but it won't get you better download speeds.

Solution