Newbie DVD questions (but still worth answering!)

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
So anyway... I'm still using the CD-ROM Drive that came with my computer about 2 years ago. I've upgrading pretty much everything and thought I just as well might sell my old stuff to my friend as a computer. Since DVD drives are so cheap, I decided to get one for my computer.

My first question is do they read normal CDs (I'd really think so)?

My second one is are the speeds listed from normal cd-roms or dvd speeds (like cdrom speeds are rated against the standard revolution of an audio cd... do dvd rom speeds so by standard dvd revolution or audio cd?)

Third is are DVD drives generally much better at audio extration? I have a x20 burner right now but my digital extration on my cd-rom is only x10 :p.

From what I've seen the Lite On or Pioneer DVD drivers would be a good buy.

Thanks

SnkeSkiner

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002
I can answer your first question :)

The DVD-ROM drive will play normal CDs.

I have a Sony 16x DVD drive. I can copy 16x what a movie would play at. I think that is how it works.

I think the extraction of audio from the DVD is much better but it will differ between drives and your sound card.

Asus A7V333 RAID
1800+ AMD XP
DDRAM 512M | DDR333 PC-2700

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Alright, wow, x16 DVD speed seems really really fast then, for $50 nonetheless. Alright, thanks for the info. If anyone knows what some approx. speeds DAE would be on a x16 DVD drive (I know it varies from brand to brand), that would be spiffy.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Cdrom 1x is 150k/s. Dvd 1x is like 1290k/s.

Dae varies like holy-hell all the way across the board.

Some are locked at 16x max. Your disk average will be right at 15x. Some start at 8x and are capped at 23x, with 18x being the average. Some will go all the way up to 32x, with 29x being the average.

Then, in the past, there were some that could get a disk average upwards of 60x. Mine got 68x once, but there were like 10 errors or so. Which doesn't really matter all that much, because it still hit 68x, even with the rereads.

All I have to say is Gawd-dam Affrey...

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Yep, I remember when my kenwood worked reliably (which was for about 6 months) I got 48x DAE average all across the disc every single time and sometimes 52x.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!